Jeffries ?

It does looks very much like one, so yes, and no...

They look exactly the same either way, but the deciding factor is if it's stamped C. Jeffries, Maker (in the top side veneer) or not - if not I'd describe it as a John Crabb, but he's probably the actual maker of all of them anyway.

I've just been comparing it with mine (a 26 button) and the fretwork is close but not identical. I would have thought that if there was a C. Jeffries stamp it would be shown in the photos so I'd be inclined to agree with Steve and suggest it's a Crabb. The reeds would still likely be decent, though.

Did Charlie Jeffries make 20 button boxes? Because I had only ever seen 26 button wooden ended Jeffries I had sort of assumed they didn't.

Chris

PS My! That concertina's had a rough life.

Edited by Chris Timson

Did Charlie Jeffries make 20 button boxes? Because I had only ever seen 26 button wooden ended Jeffries I had sort of assumed they didn't.

He did, I've had a rosewood-ended one like this, and I know the Irish accordion and concertina player Raymond Roland had a metal-ended one at one stage, because he tried to sell it to me...

PS My! That concertina's had a rough life.

It has, but this model often seems to need new bellows (and an upgrade from 5 to 6 folds is no harm), whilst the state of the ends is not untypical for an instrument with solid wood ends and very open fretwork - laminated ends are much better.

Edited by Stephen Chambers

My recollection is not perfect but I have played a 20key, courtesy of Dan Worrall. I think it was a Bf/F..!

Your recollection is indeed perfect, Chris! That one is a real favorite of mine...perfect for Dooley Chapman tunes......

Cheers,

Dan

It has, but this model often seems to need new bellows (and an upgrade from 5 to 6 folds is no harm), whilst the state of the ends is not untypical for an instrument with solid wood ends and very open fretwork - laminated ends are much better.

Yes. The original bellows were not good on these and as noted elsewhere I've just had new 6-fold bellows put on mine. I should say that I really like the sound of these boxes, they have a beautiful sweetness that is absent in the metal-ended Jeffries while still having something of the same power. I've taken to bringing both my Jeffries' to sessions nowadays and use the wooden-ended one on the slower tunes that like the sweet tone.

Chris

I should say that I really like the sound of these boxes, they have a beautiful sweetness that is absent in the metal-ended Jeffries while still having something of the same power. I've taken to bringing both my Jeffries' to sessions nowadays and use the wooden-ended one on the slower tunes that like the sweet tone.

I've always liked these rosewood-ended ones too. :)

My recollection is not perfect but I have played a 20key, courtesy of Dan Worrall. I think it was a Bf/F..!

Your recollection is indeed perfect, Chris! That one is a real favorite of mine...perfect for Dooley Chapman tunes......

Cheers,

Dan

I should have said; and what a lovely instrument it is too..!

Chris

It looks identical to a 26 key I have. The only maker name on mine is Ball Beavon & Co London stamped on the RH end side. Mine certainly sounds like my other Jeffries in terms of reed power etc. I think Crabb/Jeffries/Ball Beavon were all linked at the time.

It looks identical to a 26 key I have. The only maker name on mine is Ball Beavon & Co London stamped on the RH end side. Mine certainly sounds like my other Jeffries in terms of reed power etc. I think Crabb/Jeffries/Ball Beavon were all linked at the time.

My great grand father John & grand father Henry, made and supplied instruments to:

C Jeffries (sen) to about 1895,

Ball Beavon to mid 1920's.

Geoffey

• 7 months later...

Festive Greetings to all,

This 26b concertina in my collection has no maker's mark and seems to fit into this Crabbeffrieseavon thread; it also has the rare distinction, for an Anglo, of having the accidental buttons coloured red.

Maybe I just haven't been observent enough? Geoffrey, I don't suppose that you have any family records that mention these red buttons?

All comments gratefully received.

Neil

post-937-0-48434200-1451430006_thumb.jpg

Edited by nkgibbs