Tune Of The Month, May 2015: Da Slockit Light

Jim Besser

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has always been a flute tune for me. Been working at it on the Crane but not quite there yet so this is a first outing for our newly acquired Baritone English (a bit of valve work needed, you may notice) in duet with a treble. Only the second time we'd tried it so still a bit rough round the edges: https://soundcloud.com/jignatius-aeola/slockit-light

Here is my version. Normally would have tried it on my GD but was travelling and only had the CG Anglo so used that.

I dedicated my meager version to Charlie Gravel, whom I bought it from. I thought it was a fitting dedication since he died last month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOmqjj-Yv7Q

Very nice, I knew you'd get it!

Will you be at the Washington Folk Festival again this year?

I did a "remix" of Da Slockit Light for the ukulele forum which seemed to go well there.

Here is the modified version. I removed the harmony line on recorder as I was not happy with it and added a tenor ukulele playing arpeggios and a shruti box playing a DA drone. I kept the doubled melody on soprano recorder second time through.

https://vimeo.com/128575279

Hi all. A one shot "polka" version with my brother on ukulele.

Well, I was prepared to hate this, but I was wrong. It steps all over Tom Anderson's original idea, but is nicely done and works!

It sounds like something Swedish - very pretty. I'll see what I can do with it.

I wonder if a tune, even when played by its composer, need be considered to be to be the 'definitive' version. Every player has an opportunity to improvise a little bit of their own personality into a tune if they so wish, and there is of course plenty of evidence to suggest that they do so.

I perfectly agree - considering the composer's playing doesn't make me feel restricted to his approach at all. However, listening can be helpful for not missing what is in the tune, but the folk process can't (and shouldn't) be controlled anyways...

Best wishes - Wolf

I agree with this - if we were restricted to one definite version it wouldn't be trad/folk music. That's another discussion I suppose. But I get upset when I see someone write "that isn't 'tune x' because you didn't play a D there" or similar things (I've seen it happen on You Tube when someone posted a Swedish melodeon tune).

Nice recordings all, by the way!

Thank you for that Jim, I'm very glad about my effort apparently coming through...!

Don (and maybe others), regarding intended improvements or changes, the following three subjects come to my mind instantly:

1. (the obvious one) even slower pace with more variations and rubati,

2. shortening phrases, such as in bar 3 (4), in order to give the slow lament sort of a structure which I welcome,

3. avoiding the unpropriate counterpoint note at the end of bar 7 (8) of the B section, replacing it with another (third) double-fifths chord (dominant 1-5-9), which gets then resolved into the (high) major third of the dominant (10), again because I don't want to stress the double-dominant modulation at that point. To my ears the dissonant progression weakens or mellows the (all too strong) functional tension successfully...

More information resp. analysis to follow...

Best wishes - Wolf

Edited by blue eyed sailor