4 'tinas For Auction. 12 May, Knutsford, Uk.

Anglogeezer

Wright Marshall - Knutsford, Cheshire, on the 12th May.

4 concertinas - Lot Nos 75, 76, 77 & 78.

see here : https://www.ukauctioneers.com/auction_catalogue.cfm?d&auction=29E8CA0D

The George Case of 1860 looks a beauty.

Jake

I'm just down the road from there and will probably go in for a look.

I play English but might take a punt on the Duet - I'm quite interested in seeing if I can get on with that system.

(Don't let that stop you bidding though .... I may well decide not to get another concertina, I barely have enough free time for the one that I have!)

Chris

ps This auction house is usually pretty low on their price estimates, especially for decent models. The one up the road in Macclesfield seems to give more realistic values.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a look at the Case concertina at the weekend, and it was very nice indeed.

The spec said walnut, but it could be amboyna. There were traces of gilding on the buttons and end bolts and I think it must have had a refurb. since it was close to concert pitch (A came in at ~441)

There was a cloth baffle so I couldn't see the innards, but the bushing looked good and all except one button played (sounded as though there was some fluff in it). Very airtight with a nice sweet tone.

I didn't tell everyone here, since I decided to bid on it ( B) ) but it shot straight through my rather meagre limit and sold for £900 plus buyers premium etc.

If someone here bought it, I think you've got a very nice and immediately playable concertina there!

Chris

It sure is one expensive hobby.

My weird mind at work: I've seen Morris teams with hobby horses, unicorns, elk (American "moose"), and even a lobster, but does anyone know of a team with a "hobby" concertina? :unsure:

Hobby ? Yes why not, but 'expensive' ? I don't think so ! There are many many far more expensive hobbies but my point is that, so far, this hobby has not cost me anything..... explain please Geoff:

Since starting to play concertinas as a hobby, back in the early 70's , I have always broken even or made a small profit when selling on the concertinas that I have used. Sometimes due to inflation, long years of ownership and heightened awareness of certain models,increased popularity etc etc , the selling prices have been far higher than the purchase....

All in all I recon on average to have made a small profit... so I view this hobby as very cheap, even Free.

Of course one needs to invest and be carefull what you buy but any vintage instrument of good pedigree and in fine playing condition will hold (or increase)its value. They are not like many other things we own which wear out after a few years. These older instruments have already served somebody for a lifetime of music and will continue to do so with a modicum of care.

Happy Music,

Geoff.

Edited by Geoff Wooff

Hobby ? Yes why not, but 'expensive' ? I don't think so ! There are many many far more expensive hobbies ...

I'd put it this way: Playing concertina is in fact not very expensive compared with other "hobbies", however collecting concertinas (like some of our fellow members seem to do) surely is... B)

The best way to kick the collecting habit is to switch to the Hayden system...

My way appears to be: just not to start at all (that's in fact what I decided to do - or not to do - with cigarettes when I was a 12 years old youth..., having been completely successful therewith to date!) B)

I'm sure that Chris Algar will have a very tempting selection of some very nice concertinas at Swaledeale Squeeze this weekend. Maybe I should leave my credit and debit cards at home?