Screws And Where To Get Them

As a repairer/restorer I frequently need to replace the screws that go through thumb straps and finger rests. These are not something you can buy at B & Q. Does anybody know where I get a few dozen to keep me going?

The long thin brass screws that go through the fretwork ends into the padboard are like hens teeth - they aren't made any more. I recently bought a gross of 1 and a half inch number 2s from a reseller on ebay who had presumably bought up old stock from a long-running ironmongers. See http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260611281205. These are a bit long, but can be screwed threw and cut flush in the inside of the padboard.

I had two concertinas where these long screws through the centre hole of the finger rest and the thumbstrap were missing, which then risks damage to the fretwork ends when pulling hard - these screws transfer the load to the padboard, and if missing the load has to go through the fretwork to the six bolts on the edge instead.

They are only difficult to obtain if you can't find them. I pointed Dave Leese to 1500 1 " no "'2s and 1000 1 1/4 no 2's. So why not try Concertina Spares. Paul Hardy I would advise you not to use Brass as they will snap at the slightest provocation

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all those useful replies chaps.

I measured the screws from the box on which I am currently working. The long screws from the thumb straps are 1 1/16" by 1/16", the slightly shorter screw from the finger rest is 15/16" by 1/16". The little screws that secure the rests and straps to the fretwork end are 1/2" by 1/16".

Because I have no carpentry training, I do not underatand the dimensions that "No. 1" or "No.2" refer to. Can anybody help there please?

Thanks for all those useful replies chaps.

I measured the screws from the box on which I am currently working. The long screws from the thumb straps are 1 1/16" by 1/16", the slightly shorter screw from the finger rest is 15/16" by 1/16". The little screws that secure the rests and straps to the fretwork end are 1/2" by 1/16".

Because I have no carpentry training, I do not underatand the dimensions that "No. 1" or "No.2" refer to. Can anybody help there please?

Google 'wood screw dimensions'

Geoffrey

All you really need to know there is that the original screws are going to be 'No. 1' diameter, but Steve Dickinson told me donkey's years ago that 1" No. 1 screws haven't been made since (I think he said) 1927, so the nearest you can get to them would be (slightly thicker) 'No. 2' screws - unless you strike incredibly lucky somewhere!!! :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

This is why I pointed Dave Leese to our local Hardware shop that had just bought the residual stock of a Screw Distributor. This is where the old stock came from. No 1 and No 2 screws were what was known as a "Non-preferred size " by G K N from the Sixties