Small/miniature Concertinas?

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Cajun music was sometimes performed with single key/row melodeons?)

Yup, the standard "Cajun accordion" is a one-row, 10-button diatonic melodeon, with only two bass buttons and an air button on the left. The same instrument also has some slight use in Irish music, where's it's referred to as "melodeon" (a narrower usage of the term than in the UK, or in Irish mileoidean or an bosca). I vaguely recall seeing some photos of old concertinas with only five buttons per side, so similar thing except the concertina would lack the bass/chord buttons.

I know you mention that you're more focused on full-keyed but compact instruments, but I did want to note that I have a vague dream of someday owning a custom downsized Hayden Duet concertina, though not really clear on what would the smallest usable number of buttons. <_<

I vaguely recall seeing some photos of old concertinas with only five buttons per side,

Just FYI, John Connor once made 1-row model in G (with G drone) as a "Student Model". It was not a miniature (6 inches across the flats). I saw one in 2009 on eBay.

Bob Tedrow was making a "concertiny" at one point: http://hmi.homewood.net/mini/

That Tedrow mini looks pretty cool. Does anyone have an audiosample of it being played?

This is not a direct answer but you can hear APJ miniature sound sample here. http://www.apjmusic.co.uk/apj_miniature_anglo.htm I think this one is similar size as Tedrow mini. The differences are end material and the Key (Tedrow is in 'D' and APJ is in 'G').

Edited by Takayuki YAGI

Thanks for that audio sample. That's a little squeaky for me but I'd still be interested in hearing the mini in D. I assume like melodeons that the D is pitched 5 semitones lower?