Strap Help Please

hello good people

i have a 30 button anglo. its a Bronwyn which i believe is made by Sutherland? Its my first concertina - i started learning a couple of months ago...

Anyhow, in my experimenting, I played about with various strap settings and have now pretty much found one that i like...

but Ive noticed that while playing the screw holding the right strap starts to come loose. I can keep tightening it but i'm concerned that sooner or later it will strip the thread from the wooden strap holder -hope that makes sense :-)

So can anyone recommend a soloution please

Edited by JimmyM

A quick and dirty solution is a bit of tape over the screw head to keep it from turning.

A small lock washer should work, but might chew up the wood surface below, or the leather of the strap.

For something less visible, you could apply a bit of vinyl electrical tape over the screw hole, then puncture it with the screw as you insert it. That bit of tape will remain unseen under the strap, and it should grip the shank of the screw lightly, and might provide a little turning resistance.

Less conventionally, if you have determined the position you want to stay with for a while, and the above isn't enough, apply a small drop of PVA glue on the screw threads just before insertion. It won't bond all that well to metal, so you should still be able to remove the screw when necessary. Just don't use too much, and definitely don't use anything more aggressive!

If the screw does eventually strip out, a bit of rolled up masking tape (sticky side out) or even paper, lining the hole before re-inserting the screw is a decent temporary fix. It won't be strong, but the main forces on the strap should be perpendicular to the hole, so it should hold for a good while. Somewhat more permanent would be to pack the hole with PVA glue mixed with sawdust, or use a commercial wood filler. Allow it to partially dry before inserting the screw, letting the screw tap its own way into the mix.

Just don't do anything too permanent, or you will probably regret it.

1 Remove screw.

2 Ram a matchstick into the hole

3 Chop matchstick off flush with craft knife

4 Refit screw

5 Enjoy life!

Pete. :D

1 Remove screw.

2 Ram a matchstick WITH GLUE into the hole

4 Refit screw

5 Enjoy life!

You can pack the hole and screw thread with Milliput and insert leave overnight to cure. the screw will come undone with a bit of effort leaving a perminent new female thread behind.

Or contact concertina spares for replacement thumbscrews and inserts.

Dave

1 Remove screw.

2 Ram a matchstick into the hole

4 Refit screw

5 Enjoy life!

Pete. :D

1 Remove screw.

2 Ram a matchstick WITH GLUE into the hole

4 Refit screw

5 Enjoy life!

You can pack the hole and screw thread with Milliput and insert leave overnight to cure. the screw will come undone with a bit of effort leaving a perminent new female thread behind.

Or contact concertina spares for replacement thumbscrews and inserts.

Dave

Thanks people. I shall try the glued matchstick and see how i get on