Strange But Beautiful

nkgibbs

There is a Scates baritone with similar fret work (especially the little cut outs in the angles,also similar bellows papers) in the concertina museum cat. Number C-154

The baritone and the one on ebay are the only ones I remember having this particular design so - may well be Scates may be a rebadge (not uncommon!!)

I have Joseph Scate's no. 903 made using rthe same amboyna, fretwork and bellows, bellows paper. The reed form is the same. I would guess the reeds are nickel silver. Dave Elliot restored mine for me and its now has a remarkably quick to respond mellow tone. Despite the likely restoration costs this could make a great box for ballad accompaniment.

I recall reading that George Case may have made boxes for Scates, so Tha could be the ultimate parentage.

Whoops ! Wrist slapped Greg, fancy me getting it wrong.

There's something liberating about being wrong once in a while. It's a terrible burden being right all the time!

Yes I have had my wrist slapped many times and a few thousand lines to write out.

Al