Saying Hello

Hello everyone.

After finding out about the concertina, looking at videos, and seeing Toru KATO's inspiring videos. It sounds very cheerful, and I think everyone could use a good deal of cheer in this day and age.

I'm of very modest means at the moment. I would like to eventually own either a Concertina Connections Rochelle or a Stagi Anglo, but $400-$500 all at once is beyond me right now. I don't want to buy something which would disintegrate on me when I'm really getting the hang of things or frustrate me when I'm trying to learn.

I've already tried delving into this resource, and I also like to thank you all for what you've made available. It's certainly wetted my appetite, so to speak.

Edited by Roy M.

Hello everyone.

After finding out about the concertina, looking at videos, and seeing Toru KATO's inspiring videos. It sounds very cheerful, and I think everyone could use a good deal of cheer in this day and age.

I'm of very modest means at the moment. I would like to eventually own either a Concertina Connections Rochelle or a Stagi Anglo, but $400-$500 all at once is beyond me right now. I don't want to buy something which would disintegrate on me when I'm really getting the hang of things or frustrate me when I'm trying to learn.

I've already tried delving into this resource, and I also like to thank you all for what you've made available. It's certainly wetted my appetite, so to speak.

Have you looked into the Button Box's rental option? That wouldn't be "all at once".

Have you looked into the Button Box's rental option? That wouldn't be "all at once".

Yes I have. The Rochelle is on backorder until mid to late April. The other 30 button is ~$1,000, I'd be having trouble getting enough ahead with the rent with the amount of stipend I get to buy it outright and I would be devestated if I had it lost or stolen.

I'm tempted to go the 20 button route, but I'm not sure how much limitations that would put me in.

Edit: Concertina Connection's Elise model also sounds good to my own ear. I'm wondering how much more difficult it would be to learn the duet, and what music it would be good for.

Edited by Roy M.

Hello, Roy. As a recent "addict" and inveterate cheapskate, I can relate to your enthusiasm as well as your concerns. I was lucky enough to get a "nice" old Stagi for about a hundred bucks at the Northeast Squeeze-in, which got me hooked. It's sweet-toned, comfortable, and generally way more value for the money than anything else I have found. Thus hooked, I went to The ButtonBox, and for less than 500 bucks, got a new Stagi 20 button in G and D, which keys made perfect sense for me. It was a bit less refined than my older Stagi, but serviceable, and I would have kept it, save for the add for a ButtonBox older Stagi 40 button, in my new favorite keys of G and D, plus the whole 40 button thing. I believe it is the same sort Toru Kato plays, and it was under 500 bucks, though kind of rough looking. I have it and love it. Then, after reading a ton here about the Elise, and seeing Matthew Vanitas' video playing in the ruined palace, I rented one from my friends at The ButtonBox, and quickly loved it, too, and converted the rental to purchase. A long story, but to cut to the chase, I now play, everyday, an old 40 button Anglo and a newish Hayden duet, and wouldn't trade either for the money I paid. The Anglo is like a handful of harmonicas (which make them simple for me, albeit only in their home keys) and the Elise Hayden Duet is a whole other, cool musical friend. So, if you play the harmonica, get an old Anglo or a Rochelle. If you want to rent something radically, elegantly slick, then go Elise. And you can't go wrong either way. Have a blast.

David

Hello David,

If your 40-button model is not the same type of concertina that Toru Kato plays, it's a very close relative. I am consistently amazed by the range of music he's able to achieve with his cheerful little squeezebox.

I am not a harmonica player, but the Anglo interests me due to it's use in folk music, sea shanties, Irish music and use during the War Between the States. It's also the sort of Concertina most likely to have been used by the pioneers during the exodus to Utah, as the majority of Mormons at the time were either of modest means or recent immigrants from the British Isles, but the English Concertina was also available.

At the same time, the Hayden duet seems to be a fairly logical and versitile instrument. I'm attracted to a wide variety of music, and will at the very least attempt a lot of things like hymns, yet at the same time I'm not sure if I will suffer from the lack of specialization that the Anglo has.

The English simply looks uncomfortable.

I may be able to start the process of obtaining one sooner than I thought, but I do not think it's going to be the immediate 'call Button Box and have a thing that I own free and clear in the mail' type gratification that I would like.

Edited by Roy M.

We have a good scattering of members in Texas; it might be best to ask here if anyone is in a city near to you that you can meet up with to check out their collection, try out the different formats to see what strikes you.

If they're in the Huntsville to Conroe area, or nearabouts, I'd be happy to visit. But the way family is right now with their health situation I don't want to stray too far.

What would be the proper way to ask on this forum?

Edited by Roy M.

If they're in the Huntsville to Conroe area, or nearabouts, I'd be happy to visit. But the way family is right now with their health situation I don't want to stray too far.

What would be the proper way to ask on this forum?

With luck, you've just done it. :)