Theme Of The Month, April 2015: Your Newest

Jim Besser

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very much a work in progress: a brand new jig by bandmate Andrew Marcus, Rain Batteries. It was written by a masterful piano accordionist who actually thinks chromatic runs are fun. And who has a full range of chords and accidentals.

Being an Anglo concertinist and limited in chords and accidentals, I'm finding this tune devilishly difficult. Still a lot of smoothing out to do, and more figuring out what to do about chords I just don't have. I've left out a few notes from his original notation, especially in the concluding run of the B part.

Played on a Morse 30 button GD hybrid ango.

Edited by Jim Besser

Here's a song I've only recently learned, though it's been on my to-do list for years, ever since I came across the original sheet music in an antique shop.

http://youtu.be/eUPp-s_z92s

The concertina (40-button Wheatstone Anglo) is back in the mix on this one, but obviously the song wouldn't be the same without it. In fact this is pretty essential repertoire.

Bob Michel

Near Philly

Here's a song I've only recently learned, though it's been on my to-do list for years, ever since I came across the original sheet music in an antique shop.

The concertina (40-button Wheatstone Anglo) is back in the mix on this one, but obviously the song wouldn't be the same without it. In fact this is pretty essential repertoire.

Bob Michel

Near Philly

That made my day.

Bob Michel

Near Philly

That was great.

Shiny Shoes, by our own Alan Day.

Maybe 10 years ago, I went with Alan to the session at The George in London and recorded most of it. When I got back I promptly lost the recording and forgot a lot of what we played.

The other day I was going thru a bunch of old tapes and minidiscs and found it. And one of the first tunes we played at that session was this catchy little number by Alan.

The tape was noisy and there were hurdy gurdies and bombards making it hard to pick out the melody, so I'm not sure I reconstructed the tune properly. Alan, sorry if I butchered a great tune!

This might make a good TOTM candidate if we had dots!

Edited by Jim Besser

Shiny Shoes, by our own Alan Day.

Maybe 10 years ago, I went with Alan to the session at The George in London and recorded most of it. When I got back I promptly lost the recording and forgot a lot of what we played.

The other day I was going thru a bunch of old tapes and minidiscs and found it. And one of the first tunes we played at that session was this catchy little number by Alan.

The tape was noisy and there were hurdy gurdies and bombards making it hard to pick out the melody, so I'm not sure I reconstructed the tune properly. Alan, sorry if I butchered a great tune!

This might make a good TOTM candidate if we had dots!

A really nice bouncy tune