Theme Of The Month, April 2015: Your Newest

Jim Besser

It has been argued that all musical compositions are derivative......to a certain extent.....in one way or another ?

Derivative... or duplicative. Especially with regard to simpler tunes, I don't find it at all unlikely that they could be conceived independently many times. I mean, if somebody in 1830's Ireland (e.g.) composed a tune, does that somehow invoke a magical spell that makes it impossible for anyone else to imagine the same melody without hearing his (or her) "original"?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Chocolate rabbit: When I first hear it, I wondered where I knew this tune from. Then I realised, that the introduction/chorus/reccuring phrase is very similiar to the polish classic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fhc6ZgA4hrM

I was wondering if the similiar phrase (opening and chorus note sequence) is a complete coincidence, or it is a concious (or subconcious) quotation?

Probably not a complete coincidence, but not necessarily based on "Tylko we Lwowie", either. The duplication I hear is in the first two measures, and I'm pretty sure any phrase that short could be found in many other tunes. But to me the first four measures of "Tylko..." sound very familiar, and that phrase brings to mind two different images:

1. Some sort of American musical extravaganza film from the mid-1900s.
  2. A sailor song (though not a shanty), possibly even one I've heard sung in more than one language.

Now I'll be wracking my brain :o to see if I can dig up a more specific/detailed memory.

That is why I'm interested only in Alan's personal history with this particular passage - the note sequence that short probably was composed many times over throughout history, with probably many further variations, from which only few times gained enough recognition to be recorded or popularised in any way… I'm interested mostly because this is one of the historicaly important Polish tunes and I was wondering if it made it's way all the way to Alan.

Here's a tune that I've been working on over the last few days - Enkronaspolskan e Omas Per from Western Dalarna in Sweden.

A bit rough around the edges, but coming along.

Great tune, and one I've been working on myself, though not yet committed to memory. I have a couple of somewhat different versions to work from. Hoping to learn both and contrast them.

Any chance of getting a recording with Gill joining you on cello? :)

Great tune, and one I've been working on myself, though not yet committed to memory. I have a couple of somewhat different versions to work from. Hoping to learn both and contrast them.

Any chance of getting a recording with Gill joining you on cello? :)

Yes it's a great tune - looking forward to hearing your versions. :)

Starting now to commit it to memory and working on getting it flowing ready for dancing.

I'll try and work something out with Gill. :)

I'm really getting more into the music of Western Dalarna :wub: - so I'm looking to add more tunes to my repertoire.

Edited by SteveS

I figured this one out last night after a bandmate in The Squeezers recorded a clean version. Now to smooth it out and improve the chording. And check against the notation that I got the basic melody right.

This guy writes some superb tunes; look for this one to show up in a TOTM poll sometime soon.

Veron and Marcel's Schottische, by fiddler John Dipper

Played on a 30 button GD Jeffries Anglo with a suddenly buzzy low reed.

Edited by Jim Besser

Definitely my newest. Coleman's March which is what I voted for for the April TOTM.

The tune was new to me and I really like it.

Multi track with soprano ukulele and soprano recorder as well as CG Anglo Concertina. I added some variations the second time through.

https://soundcloud.com/tootlingeoff/colemans-march

Now for Harliquin Air. Another nice tune also new to me.

Glad the tune showed up despite losing in the poll. Nicely done!

I've been working on a lot of renaissance pieces recently, and here's one of the most well known renaissance chansons: Josquin's Mille Regretz. I am amazed sometimes how easily this sort of material fits under the fingers on an anglo. That said, I decided to use a lot of bellows reversals on this piece, to facilitate the fingering which gave the usual problem of little swells at every reversal. So it was a good exercise to try to get on top of these and keep the lines flowing nicely. I've recorded two versions, the first on a Bbf and the second, a forth lower on an FC (tenor). I find it's easier to control this piece at the higher pitch, but it sounds like it has a lot more gravitas lower (and when Mr Dipper has finished my baritone I'll be able to get even more gravitas...). What do you think? Any preferences? Next, I'll have to try to incorporate some diminutions on at least the top line!

LOvely. I love Bb/Fs, but the FC is sublime in this tune.

I figured this one out last night after a bandmate in The Squeezers recorded a clean version. Now to smooth it out and improve the chording. And check against the notation that I got the basic melody right.

This guy writes some superb tunes; look for this one to show up in a TOTM poll sometime soon.

Very nice and uplifting, Jim! Can't hear no buzz either...

I'm eagerly waiting for making contributions myself ASA I will have recovered from a real bad cold or flu ot whatever...

Very nice and uplifting, Jim! Can't hear no buzz either...

I'm eagerly waiting for making contributions myself ASA I will have recovered from a real bad cold or flu ot whatever...

It's a great tune, hope to do it justice when I work out a better arrangement.

Hope you feel better soon.

So here is the latest tune I am working on. Watch What Happens by Michel Legrand. Written for the the 1964 show The Umbrellas of Cherbourg. Still a little wiggley around the edges but coming along.

https://soundcloud.com/user827948939/watch-what-happens-by-michel

Really nice.

As an Anglo player, I'm always just gobsmacked by the chords you can play on an English.

Very nice, Jim. I detect a French-Canadian influence in the tune.

Chris