Concertina Workshop Week / Pinewoods Camp With Jody

Dear fellow concertina enthusiasts. I am on staff at Pinewoods in the late summer at TradMaD Camp - a week of traditional music and dance that will include a daily CONCERTINA WORKSHOP.

Saturday 29 August to Friday 4 September 2015 on the East coast of the USA at Pinewoods Camp, Plymouth MA.

I’ll be teaching concertina for all systems and levels. We will meet together for an hour, once every day for a total of five sessions. Beginner to expert squeezers are all welcome. I play Anglo in the harmonic style and can give detailed assistance on how to do that. Do you play English or duet? No problem. We will learn some great tunes and focus on bellows control and musicianship; subjects that all concertinas share.

What is musicianship? Lots of things fall into this wide net. I may be teaching how to:

Get the groove or create harmonic accompaniments. How to practice at home or take a fresh look at that gem of yours that you know so well. Playing by ear and playing from paper, Changing bad habits, Playing for dancers, Playing with other musicians, Dynamics, Articulation, Phrasing, Music theory, Session etiquette and much much more...including when to press and release the right button at the right time.

Pinewoods Camp is a beautiful setting for serious learning and frivolous fun with dozens of rustic cabins, meeting, dancing and dining halls set like villages in the woods between two charming ponds. There will be ample time to practice your scales, but this is not concertina camp unless you want it to be. The general program will be quite distracting and it’s likely that you might not be willing to find the time for much practice.

For many, a week at Pinewoods has been a transformative life changing experience. It really is another world, but most important, it’s a hundred and thirty interesting people with a wide range of skills and interests and passions. Folks who love traditional folk arts will quickly feel at home. We are all coming to camp to relax and hang out; teach, learn, go swimming and canoeing in the ponds, play tunes, play cards, have fun, sing, dance, go to concerts, eat exceptionally good food and have a friendly drink together.

It’s a stonking lot of good times. Come join us. Registration is now open at:

http://www.tradmadcamp.org/

https://www.facebook.com/tradmadcamp

This residential week of fun and learning has an exceptional staff list including my original contra dance band Grand Picnic. Check it out...

Sheila Kay Adams

Anita Best

Eliza Carthy

Andy Cohen

Amy Conley

Bob Dupré

Sue Dupré

Craig Edwards

Grand Picnic

Bennett Hammond

Lorraine Hammond

Scott Higgs

Allen Hopkins

John Kirk

Jen Larson

Trish Miller

Emily O'Brien

Caroline Paton

Linnea Paton

John Roberts

Jacqueline Schwab

Ryan & Brennish Thomson

Bob Walser

Elissa Weiss

. . . and our talented campers

Edited by Jody Kruskal

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, man! I wish it would work out that I could stay at Pinewoods an extra week for this!

For those on the list who have never been to Pinewoods, and who might be tempted, you should know that "magical" (as in "magical place") is probably the most frequently used adjective to describe the camp.

I presume, then, Jody, that I won't see you at Campers' Week?

• 3 weeks later...

And I hear John Roberts and Bob Walser are no slouches at the anglo, either!

True. I've heard them first hand. Bet you have, too.

Any English or duet players in that list of staff?

John Roberts is a fine EC player, predating his interest in the Anglo.

• 4 months later...

TradMaD Camp - a week of traditional music and dance that will include a daily CONCERTINA WORKSHOP is fully subscribed except for three spots still available.

Drop everything and come to Pinewoods for an amazing week of fun, dancing, music and concertinas.

Oh, how I wish I could! :)

Just do it Jim. You can get someone to watch the sheep.

Unfortunately, I am the someone watching the sheep this week B), while my friend is selling her wool at a markiet 1000 km away :)). In a region of about 7500 sq km with about 7500 people, backup personnel are a fantasy. That's one of the reasons why I've travelled so far to help out. (The other big reason is that I love it here. :))

Edited by JimLucas

Unfortunately, I am the someone watching the sheep this week B), while my friend is selling her wool at a markiet 1000 km away :)). In a region of about 7500 sq km with about 7500 people, backup personnel are a fantasy. That's one of the reasons why I've travelled so far to help out. (The other big reason is that I love it here. :))

Off topic :-)

What sort of sheep? (speaking as a spinner)

Edited by spindizzy

...I am the someone watching the sheep this week B), while my friend is selling her wool at a markiet 1000 km away :)). In a region of about 7500 sq km with about 7500 people, backup personnel are a fantasy. That's one of the reasons why I've travelled so far to help out. (The other big reason is that I love it here. :))

Off topic :)

What sort of sheep? (speaking as a spinner)

Several breeds, and hybrids. I assume you're on Ravelry. Are you not in Renee's groups, "Longbacken" and/or "Sponsor a Spelsau"? I'll PM you my email, in case you want to continue this conversation.