Easy Anglo 1-2-3

gcoover

Inspired by the comments and feedback from "Anglo Concertina in the Harmonic Style", here's announcing a new book for beginners on the Anglo concertina, "Easy Anglo 1-2-3", that uses the same simple tablature system.

It teaches 35 tunes, starting off with tunes that can be played on only one row, then tunes for 2-row (20-button) instruments, and finally tunes for 3-row (30-button) instruments. In single note style, cross row style and simple harmonies, with chord charts for each section. Tunes from England, Ireland, Scotland, America, Cape Breton, Germany and France in the keys of C, G, D, F, Dm and Em.

For 1-row Anglo:

• Oh! Susanna
  • Twinkle Twinkle Little Star
  • Frere Jacques
  • Flow Gently Sweet Afton
  • Blue-Eyed Stranger
  • Ye Banks and Braes
  • Off She Goes
  • Nancy
  • Rickett's Hornpipe
  • Irish Washerwoman
  • O'Carolan's Concerto

For 2-row Anglo:

• The Man in the Moon
  • Huntsman's Chorus
  • Ballydesmond Polka #3
  • Off to California
  • Shove that Pig's Foot a Little Farther into the Fire
  • Out on the Ocean
  • The Sweetness of Mary
  • Aura Lea
  • When the Roll is Called Up Yonder
  • Weeping Sad and Lonely (When This Cruel War is Over)

For 3-row Anglo:

• Boys of Bluehill
  • Japanese Polka
  • The Rose Tree
  • Rights of Man
  • Over the Waterfall
  • Random Notes
  • Sailor's Hornpipe
  • The Ash Grove
  • William & Nancy
  • In the Bleak Midwinter
  • An Mhaighdean Mhara
  • Jacob's Well
  • Mr. Punch
  • The New Chatham Hornpipe
  • Ladies of Pleasure

Special thanks to John Mock for permission to include his delightful "New Chatham Hornpipe" (from "The Keeper's Companion" CD), John Boes for permission to include his mother's beautiful strathspey "The Sweetness of Mary" (learned from the Anglo playing of Yuka Nakafuji), and to John Watcham for letting me include his masterful version of "Ladies of Pleasure" (adapted for 30-button from the "Anglo International" CD).

Attached is a sample page with "The Man in the Moon". Every tune includes the melody in standard musical notation, simple tablature for Anglo concertina, plus a graphic showing which buttons are needed.

The book is available online through Amazon and the Button Box. Cover price is 15 US dollars, 10 UK pounds, and 13 Europe euros.

In the next few months I hope to have YouTube videos posted of every tune in the book and will add the QR codes.

Just doing what I can to help advance the cause of Concertina World Domination, one tune book at a time!

Gary

43-ManInTheMoon-G-ANGLO.pdf

Edited by gcoover

Great news Gary! I've been waiting to hear more since you mentioned that it was in the works in another thread here. Off to Amazon to place my order (though I wish it were available from the Canadian site).

Do you have any tips on how to get the most out of your tutor when being used in conjunction with a G/D instrument?

Congratulations on the publication!

ooh I think this is my first post on this forum! :)

I have a Bronwyn (?) 30button and have been 'messing' about with it for a couple of weeks now. I like the sound of your tutor book but just had a look on Amazon UK and its out of stock! Have you sold out already

Jimmy,
First of all, welcome to cnet! Loads of information, opinion and entertainment awaits.

Secondly, not to worry. I made a last minute formatting tweak, should be back online later today. Thanks!

Gary

P.S. Seeing you're from Cornwall, I almost included "An Dufunyans" (remember "Bucca"?). So here it is, lots of accidentals, but what a great tune.

AnDufunyans-Dm-ANGLO-123.pdf

Edited by gcoover

Thanks Gary. I'll keep checking back with Amazon.

Although I've been down here 20+ years apparently I'll always be an 'emmett' ( the Cornish word for incomer). Keen to learn some Cornish tunes, so thanks for that.

Ok, everything has been sorted out and the book should be available on all the Amazons momentarily.

Here's another excerpt - the Joan MacDonald Boes tune "The Sweetness of Mary". Although written and usually played as a strathspey, I absolutely love Yuka Nakafuji's beautiful interpretation on the Anglo.

Here's a link to her playing it live with the combined bands of "Tricolor" and "The Corona":

http://youtu.be/otoDX5EstAY

Enjoy!

Gary

50-51-SweetnessOfMary-G-ANGLO-123.pdf

excellent :-) just placed my order for the book on Amazon. Had a look at your you tube playlist for the anglo in the harmonic... VERY inspirational. definately gives me something to aim for

thanks

Although I've been down here 20+ years apparently I'll always be an 'emmett' ( the Cornish word for incomer). Keen to learn some Cornish tunes, so thanks for that.

Send me a PM let me know where you are in Cornwall I am in Penzance. When I started to play Anglo I got a book from the library called Fooch it contalins most of the Cornish tunes with a CD. Bob

Send me a PM let me know where you are in Cornwall I am in Penzance. When I started to play Anglo I got a book from the library called Fooch it contalins most of the Cornish tunes with a CD. Bob

hello Bob I've just started. Bought it on a bit of a whim less than a month ago but i think i may be hooked already :-) and I'm up the other end in a little village just outside Liskeard -I'll send you a pm.

Hello Gary your book arrived today. Have had a quick leaf through it tonight and it looks like its going to be very usefull. How did anyone learn anything before the internet? :-)

My copy arrived Friday. During the weekend I tried to learn a few tunes that were new to me. I am struggling with the fast sections.

I have had my anglo for two months. I have been playing folk song melodies by ear. It is much easier to play something I know, than a tune I have never heard. I need to follow Gary's advice to listen to the tunes many times before I try to play them.

Mary, since you've only had your Anglo for two months, I wouldn't think anything would be played very fast just yet. Slow and easy gets the job done until your fingers and subconscious get the basic movements and locations sorted out.

I'll be posting YouTube videos of all the tunes from the book in the next month or so, so that should help.

As for the previous question about G/D, if you don't mind playing everything a bit lower, the tablature will still teach you the basic patterns, just use the musical notation as an indicator of rhythm only and maybe pencil in the revised chord names to help you learn the chord patterns. Some accompaniments might sound a bit heavy with too many notes so just leave some out. No one has written a tutor for the G/D yet since they've been fairly rare up until now - I'd love to see Jody Kruskal write one (hint hint)!

Gary

Mary B, et al - just posted 7 more videos on the "angloconc" channel on YouTube. These are mostly tunes that can be played on only one row, except for the harmonies on "Flow Gently, Sweet Afton", and "The Man in the Moon" which utilizes that little pinky F# on the left.

Hope these help you get started! More to come...I'm putting them all together on an "Easy Anglo 1-2-3" playlist.

Gary

Edited by gcoover

Thanks, Gary!

You uploaded the two fast ones I am trying to learn, so now I can get the tunes in my brain. I will have to restrain my impulse to play at your tempo until my fingers know where to go by memory.

Edited by Mary B

• 4 weeks later...