Sign in to follow this  
david robertson

Can Anyone Identify This One?

Here's an interesting 35-key English on eBay. Looks like a baritone, and the high serial number would argue for Lachenal, but it doesn't look like any Lachenal I've seen before. Anyone got a suggestion?

That was my first thought, Paul, but I've never seen those triangular cut-outs above the cartouche and at the bottom, and even the early New Models, with an oval cartouche on the right, never had the cross pattern on the left - unless, of course, this is the one that proves me wrong!

Several years ago I restored a New Model with more open fret work than I was used to seeing and a cross cut out for the serial #.

(These are not exactly an "After and before" picture series. I was a victim of Minwax's "Tung Oil Finish" which does not contain tung oil :angry:!!?? and was not compatible with the real tung oil I had previously applied!!!! :o Fortunately the instrument got "finished" once I removed the Minwax and started over with more of the "real stuff" :))

The ends do not have a lachenal pattern I know, but I did not see all of them...

Could somebody have replaced ends?

It will not be a wheatstone, serial number.

The ledgers show that #31800 was a 48 button rosewoods ends and not a 35 key ebony ended one.

Hi Marien, I've tried to send you a PM, but you can't receive messages, could you send me your email

The fretwork may not be exactly "typical" - but it is a very early example of a New Model, and non-standard instruments (like a band tenor or a baritone, etc.) often didn't have the same fretwork as a treble...