Looking For A Smooth English Jig

Jim Besser

Maybe "The Roman Wall"?

https://thesession.org/tunes/4802

Please ignore the squabbling on the session website, this tune is definitely part of the Northumbrian/North East tradition- even if it may also crop up in Ireland.

I have it on good authority that it works well for Rapper, so I would think it would work well for a "smooth" dance of another sort.

Maybe "The Roman Wall"?

https://thesession.org/tunes/4802

Please ignore the squabbling on the session website, this tune is definitely part of the Northumbrian/North East tradition- even if it may also crop up in Ireland.

I have it on good authority that it works well for Rapper, so I would think it would work well for a "smooth" dance of another sort.

Thanks. Roman Wall is great, but I already use it for another Northwest Morris set - and I try not to use the same tunes for different dances!

How about John Kirkpatrick's 'Jump At The Sun'?

Hours of entertainment to be had from the various versions, mis-hearings, and mis-namings at https://thesession.org/tunes/736- without playing through all the many versions I'd say that version 2 there is probably closest to what JK actually wrote, although you might (as we do) want to transpose it to Em if two-row melodeons are going to be involved.

Smoothness is, of course, as much in the playing as in the notes of the tune, but if Roman Wall is close to what you're after Jump At The Sun should do the business (and has some funky accidentals to boot).

Excellent a tune though it is, I really can't see "Jump At The Sun" as a NW Morris tune. You're really looking for a tune that's closer to a 2-step or a 6/8 march than a jig. But then, I could be wrong - I've only been playing for morris for about 45 years.........

Graham

How about John Kirkpatrick's 'Jump At The Sun'?

Hours of entertainment to be had from the various versions, mis-hearings, and mis-namings at https://thesession.org/tunes/736- without playing through all the many versions I'd say that version 2 there is probably closest to what JK actually wrote, although you might (as we do) want to transpose it to Em if two-row melodeons are going to be involved.

Smoothness is, of course, as much in the playing as in the notes of the tune, but if Roman Wall is close to what you're after Jump At The Sun should do the business (and has some funky accidentals to boot).

Great tune, I sometimes play it for a Border Morris group and for contra dances. In Em, which plays easier than Gm, although I really like the sound of Gm.

I should go thru John K's tunebook - there are SO many great tunes of his.

The Moon And Seven Stars

Good one! I was also thinking of the Old Favorite, although I think it's Irish, not English.

It appears in several 18th-19th century manuscript tune books from all over England, so I would say it definitely qualifies as English!

The Moon And Seven Stars

Good one! I was also thinking of the Old Favorite, although I think it's Irish, not English.

It appears in several 18th-19th century manuscript tune books from all over England, so I would say it definitely qualifies as English!

As long as we may name it "Old Favourite"... B)

Hi Jim..................not sure if these are smooth or not but they have a definitw NW feel about them.

Egg'n Cabbage & Melody Iron

I heard a snippet on Youtube played by Keith Kendrick and found the set on one of his CD's.

We now play them in our Toronto English session.

Also look at......

Falmouth Assembly & Creampot

In spite of the name, Falmouth Assembly just screams NW at me; Creampot not so much but it is a great tune also played in our session.

Hope they help.

Robin

25_Falmouth Assembly & Creampot.pdf

55_Egg and Cabbage & Melody Iron.pdf

Hi Jim..................not sure if these are smooth or not but they have a definitw NW feel about them.

Egg'n Cabbage & Melody Iron

I heard a snippet on Youtube played by Keith Kendrick and found the set on one of his CD's.

We now play them in our Toronto English session.

Also look at......

Falmouth Assembly & Creampot

In spite of the name, Falmouth Assembly just screams NW at me; Creampot not so much but it is a great tune also played in our session.

Hope they help.

Robin

Good ones, Robin. I've played Falmouth, not the others.

I'm also thinking Oyster Girl would work well in this particular set. Think I'll try out a bunch of different tunes on the Ladies when next we rehearse.