Poll: Tune Of The Month For March, 2015

Jim Besser

Poll: Totm, March 2015  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Metsakukkia was lots of fun, and we had some really nice recordings. Thanks to all who participated - whether you posted or not; it's all good. But time marches on, meaning that it’s time for a March tune. Here are some choices; I hope you find one you like.

Old Time American: Angelina Baker

How about a hot oldtime fiddle tune to warm you up after months of frigid temperatures?

Angelina Baker, or Angeline the Baker, is something you’re sure to hear if you hang around any oldtime or bluegrass festival in the US.

The common melody may be related to a song written by Stephen Foster in 1850, played here by Gary Coover on Anglo - from his book Civil War Concertina. But honestly, the resemblance is only passing.

The tune known and played by just about every oldtime fiddler is more or less like this.

Here’s a lovely slow version played by a talented young mandolinist.

And here’s the way I’ve heard it most frequenter over the years - a tailgate jam

French: Mazurka a Clement

I learned this tune by P. Souchez at a DC/Baltimore area squeeze in last year, played it again at the Northeast Squeeze In, and just can’t get enough of it. Getting a real mazurka feel takes a little practice, but it’s not a hard tune, and I think you’ll have fun with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8akn5rbECCM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLPiEN8NIHI

English: Return from Helsinki

I’ve seen this tune on various playlists but just recently gave it a serious listen. And OMG, it’s gorgeous, and fits well on various concertina systems.

Here’s the composer himself, Ian Stephenson, playing it.

And a nice version on melodeon by Anahata.

What about a nice concertina version?

West Indian: Jamaica Farewell

I know this pseudo West Indian tune because some mischievous Morris musicians around here like to switch to this tune when playing for the massed version of the dance Highland Mary. Written by Irving Burgie in 1926, it was popularized by Harry Belafonte in the 1960s.

It’s surpringly fun to play on concertina!

Here's a lovely sung version.

And here's one I don't dare describe, except that you have to give them a lot of credit for creativity.

Edited by Jim Besser

I know this pseudo West Indian tune because some mischievous Morris musicians around here like to switch to this tune when playing for the massed version of the dance Highland Mary.

When we did that, we would call the dance "Island Mary". :)

I know this pseudo West Indian tune because some mischievous Morris musicians around here like to switch to this tune when playing for the massed version of the dance Highland Mary.

When we did that, we would call the dance "Island Mary". :)

Yep. The tradition continues.Change comes after 2X thru Highland Mary. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78k96JjZyt8

Edited by Jim Besser