For Sale: Virtually New Suttner 38 Button Ab/eb

RP3

I have decided to sell my 38 button Ab/Eb Suttner A4 model anglo concertina. This instrument is practically brand new with little use. It was produced for me in 2003 with serial number 178. It has the optional flat ebony ends, Jeffries layout, and the sound is exquisite. At today's exchange rate, this concertina would cost over $5,500 new and you would be looking at a wait of maybe 4 years before you got your hands on it. My asking price for immediate delivery is $5,100 plus actual shipping and insurance (required). I will consider an overseas sale but then payment must be by wire transfer.

I don't want to list this on eBay because I don't want the hassle and I'd rather see it go to a serious purchasor who will enjoy it -- even if that means a lower price for me.

If you would like a premium flat pitch instrument with no wait, then this may be the instrument for you. Serious inquiries invited.

If you would like a premium flat pitch instrument with no wait, then this may be the instrument for you. Serious inquiries invited.

Sounds lovely, and I wish I could afford it.

But why do you call it "flat pitch"? It's a half-step sharp to a G/D, no?

Jim, I'm guessing Ross is using the term the way some of us anglo players do, and as uillean pipers do. A modern set of pipes in "D" is "concert pitch." Uillean pipes in C or B are called "flat pitch" by pipers. Similarly, something below a C/G anglo (a Bb/F, or an Ab/Eb) could be referred to this way. Not a common usage, but I have heard it before. If I know Ross, and his ability to specify what he is after (he works in banking, after all), this instrument was undoubtedly built in A440.

I'm guessing Ross is using the term the way some of us anglo players do, and as uillean pipers do.

I can see that makes sense for an instrument somewhat flat to normal, but carried to an extreme it would mean that a baritone C/G anglo would qualify as "flat"... very flat. To my way of thinking, the Ab/Eb is also too far from the C/G to be considered merely flat, especially since it's sharp to another standard instrument, the G/D. In fact, for someone used to playing a G/D, the Ab/Eb is perfect for playing along with fiddlers who like to tune a half step above normal.

Different perspectives, to be sure.

Ross ... works in banking...

So it's a C/G, discounted by 20%. :D