Catskills Irish Arts Week

I am really looking forward to the Catskills Irish Arts Week (CIAW) this year. I have been asked to teach concertina there this year. I consider this a real honor. I will be teaching the Basic class and a Stepping Stones class for beginners. For you more advanced players Edel Fox will be there teaching the intermediate and advance classes so you can't go wrong with that! Check out the website http://www.catskillsirishartsweek.org/ and consider signing up....there is an early bird special if you sign up before 3/17

Hope to see you this summer...

Doug Barr

For those of you who have not had the pleasure, Doug is a fine player. I've named him the "Atomic Clock" because he keeps such good time! Perhaps as important he is a pleasant and patient person. I'm sure he will fit right in with the tradition of outstanding concertina instructors at Irish Arts Week.

Go get 'em, A.C.!

Greg

Hi Patrick, I don't remember seeing any duets. You could learn a few tunes but don't think anyone could help you with any technical fingerings. You should come up for the sessions and late, late night fun. Are you familiar with or currently play any Irish trad?

Doug

Hi Patrick,

Given your geographical proximity I'd say if you have even a moderate interest in Irish Trad that attending IAW should be seriously considered. Hard core evening sessions reign supreme but there are some geared at a lower intensity.

Depending on your learning flexibility attending a beginners anglo concertina class (or even for a different instrument! say fiddle) can offer insights into how Traditional Irish music is played and ornamented. Pat Egan usually offers a class in Irish ballad and song with his sparkling guitar accompaniment and some of this might offer inspiration for duet concertina.

Unfortunately duet concertina players are largely on their own as far as organized gatherings are concerned. Your best bet for meeting and playing with other duet concertinas is probably the Northeast Squeeze In held in mid September in the Berkshires. Not more than an hour or two from where you live.

Best,

Greg

Patrick, get yourself an anglo and sign up for my basic class...I also have some Concertina Connection Rochelles for rent for the week for my students....you'll have a good time and learn a lot too. Better yet bring a friend. Doug

Edited by Doug Barr

Patrick, get yourself an anglo and sign up for my basic class...I also have some Concertina Connection Rochelles for rent for the week for my students....you'll have a good time and learn a lot to.

Well, that's what I'd call a bold turn... B)

Rather like looking at a thing from a very different angle!

Patrick, get yourself an anglo and sign up for my basic class...I also have some Concertina Connection Rochelles for rent for the week for my students....you'll have a good time and learn a lot to.

Well, that's what I'd call a bold turn... B)

Thanks for the invitation, but too bold for me I'm afraid. One axe to work on is more than enough.

Doug,

you may tell me to mind my own business, but from my own experience I can tell that it can in fact make sense to participate in a class which is primarily aimed at players of another system (concretely, it had been Adrian Brown from whose Anglo teaching I really learned a lot for my EC playing, admittedly made possible by his generous individually splitting of some attention).

However, this may very well be inoperable in your class which I can't gauge at all.

Best wishes - Wolf

Hi Wolf, I would not object to anyone with a different system attending the class. I know many english system players that are great at playing the Irish tunes. I have to admit to a lack of knowledge of the workings of the other systems but would always help the best I could.

Doug

• 2 weeks later...