Unusual Plaques On Aeola

I wonder if anyone has seen an Aeola with plaques like these - identical in shape and size on both ends of the instrument?

Actually, when I acquired it, the serial number plaque was conspicuous by its absence, but the hole where it used to be provides a valuable clue, so I cut a new one from nickel-silver sheet. Of course, since I've never seen one like it, I'm not at all sure whether it should have any form of decoration apart from the number, so any info would be gratefully received.

Nice photos indeed, and an interesting page (though full of questionable 'facts'). Unfortunately, the instruments shown all have the usual smaller 4-sided plate for the serial number - but thanks for trying!

Interestingly, one of the photos shows a metal-ended 64 key Wheatstone Aeola baritone treble, serial number 28618, dating from October 1920, one of a batch of three made at the same time. I happen to own the middle B/T of the three, 28617! And, what a beautiful concertina it is.

Chris

Interestingly, one of the photos shows a metal-ended 64 key Wheatstone Aeola baritone treble, serial number 28618, dating from October 1920, one of a batch of three made at the same time. I happen to own the middle B/T of the three, 28617! And, what a beautiful concertina it is.

Chris

One of my concertinas is a (non-identical) twin of yours! 28614, "born" on the same day.

Steve

(Attempted to edit to tidy up quotes, but made it worse)

Edited by Lofty

• 4 months later...

This is bazare. I am soon to get a model 17 treble Aeola serial 28628, built Nov. 11, 1920. It's in line to be restored so should have it about October. That's really close! Should we start the consecutive serial number club and attempt to fill in the gaps?

Edited by 4to5to6

This is bazare. I am soon to get a model 17 treble Aeola serial 28628, built Nov. 11, 1910. It's in line to be restored so should have it about October. That's really close! Should we start the consecutive serial number club and attempt to fill in the gaps?

You mean 1920 do you not ?

Should we start the consecutive serial number club and attempt to fill in the gaps?

Not exactly filling in those Wheatstone gaps, but I have two Maccann duets (both Lachenal New Models; one 55-button and one 72-button) that I got approximately 5 years and 300 miles (500 km) apart, and they are consecutive serial numbers!