Jeffries Anglo Buttons

Hi all

Excuse my ignorance (I haven't touched a concertina in 40 years and I'm feeling my way back into it with a cheapie Anglo), but I have a simple question: what's the extra button on the left-hand end of a 30-key Jeffries Anglo? As it's in exactly the same position as the air button on the RH end, I'm guessing it's a duplicate air button on the left? Or not? I've never played - or even held - a Jeffries, and I can't see myself affording one in the foreseeable future........

TIA

Graham

Edited by Graham S

Hi Graham,

On a CG anglo it's usually either tuned to a C in both directions (a quasi drone) or a C pull and F Push. Of these the latter is far more useful since the C push is a duplicate of the LH push C (middle button in the middle row), whereas having an F push opens up a lot more possibilities...

Adrian

Thanks for the mention of possible notes for LH "drone" button -- particularly its use as an "F" push. I never thought of that, tho' I can visualise and hear some possibilities immediately. I've got 1 (or in some cases 2) LH drone button on my Jones C/G and find I rarely use the C push.

Normally used as a drone key.

Thanks for the mention of possible notes for LH "drone" button -- particularly its use as an "F" push. I never thought of that, tho' I can visualise and hear some possibilities immediately. I've got 1 (or in some cases 2) LH drone button on my Jones C/G and find I rarely use the C push.

I guess it might be seen as nitpicking, but a drone to me is what you get from a bagpipe, a hurdy-gurdy or even a held organ key, whereas on a concertina, the drone effectively ends when the bellows are reversed. Since this is the case, I've always felt you might as well simply use two buttons for your "drone effect" and free up the thumb button push reed to give you an extra note you don't have elsewhere.

Adrian