Wonder/whoopee

Loikroh

Hi everyone - here is another "Practice video" - having a bit of fun with the old Eddie Cantor number, which seems to work well as a hornpipe!!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/slgdciy2ca1ga19/Wonder%20Hornpipe%20-%20Makin%27%20whoopee.mov?dl=0

I played at a session a couple of weeks ago and an old lady in her late 80's (having a meal in the pub with her daughter and son-in-law) sang her way right through this. Used to be a professional singer and still sounded good - great fun.

cheers and beers...

Edited by Loikroh

Hi Daniel

Yes, that's the plan but it's just the usual old question of time and getting everyone sorted! The HD camera is ready but.....As soon as I get it organised I'll post a few things. Glad you liked the sound anyway

cheers

Mart

Hi Steve - hope things are their usual laid-back self over there. The hornpipe is "The Wonder Hornpipe" hence Wonder/whoopee.

you can find it here - https://thesession.org/tunes/337

cheers and beers

Mart

Wonder has been one of my faves since I heard Jody Kruskal play it a few years back. Love the pairing with Whoopee.

Hello Mart,

I was wondering what that hornpipe was.

That was a little joke of course, I'm sure you realised. Just my not very funny sense of humour. But I'm so glad you responded as you did.

Hi Steve - hope things are their usual laid-back self over there. The hornpipe is "The Wonder Hornpipe" hence Wonder/whoopee.

you can find it here - https://thesession.org/tunes/337

Now I have the notation and will endeavour to learn it in the event our paths should ever cross. And yes things are so laid back down here we can't even figure out who's running the country, if anyone is. Who cares anyway.

Cheers Steve.

The Wonder Hornpipe usually wanders into the key of Bb.... and it is easier to play it in that key on the EC.... and the reason why it is often noted in Bb in manuscript books is because Fiddlers liked to place a tune in the highest key possible whilst remaining in the 'first position' (so as to be heard by the dancers ,in times before electrical enhancement of sound).... and of course it was generally only fiddlers who could read music in the old days so they were the ones who might have a book of tunes.

:o ^_^ :wacko: :)

Nice playing and arrangement. The concertina sounded rather prominent in the mix but

looked like he was straining to hear himself... was that the case?

p

Hi P

Sorry to take so long replying to this - yes, you're right on both points. I have to have my ears suctioned out every 5 weeks as I have a narrowing of the canals due to years of surfing in cold water. It's an interesting condition actually called "surfers ear" - there is another latin name I can't quite remember! I was amost deaf in the right ear when we did this so I was struggling and I used my very loud Aeola - just done on an ipad so not brilliant

cheers

Mart