Tune Of The Month, Feb. 2015: Metsakukkia

Jim Besser

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have been able to download the file, Elke. Really nice playing, only criticism is that you shorten the long sustained notes in bar 3 + 7 and thus don't complete those bars.

Daria, that's a fine effort too, love to hear the tune played with pieces of harmony. Interesting choice of chords in the B section, since I'm "hearing" it pretty different as is audible in my own recording. These individual approaches are such an important part of what makes TOTM so rewarding as for me...

And congrats on your purchase, apparently a nice-sounding instrument, which has the looks too... :)

Best wishes - Wolf

Edited by blue eyed sailor

Have been able to download the file, Elke. Really nice playing, only criticism is that you shorten the long sustained notes in bar 3 + 7 and thus don't complete those bars.

Daria, that's a fine effort too, love to hear the tune played with pieces of harmony. Interesting choice of chords in the B section, since I'm "hearing" it pretty different as is audible in my own recording. These individual approaches are such an important part of what makes TOTM so rewarding as for me...

And congrats on your purchase, apparently a nice-sounding instrument, which has the looks too... :)

Best wishes - Wolf

Nice playing Wolf. It is interesting to see the different interpretations that show up isn't it? I found my version in book of tunes from northern Wisconsin, so apparently the Finnish settlers brought it over with them.

And here is mine, same like last month:

" Beginner, only melody, tips, comments, suggestions welcome :) !"

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dl2ywx0nbhgexj2/Metsäkukkia-TOTM.mp3?dl=0

Nice job Toffie. I started to try to do TOTM a few months after I started to play the concertina,about a year ago. It is a great teaching tool. I it makes me learn keys and chords and tunes that I would not normally seek out.

Keep up the nice work.

Geoff, I hope you don't mind some criticism here. There are two issues IMO:

• You're "swallowing" beats at the end of the sections (just count either the affected bar or the note values in order to get a feel for that), and sometimes get sort of lost over the following bar then, and
  • you're adding "wrong" notes (i.e. beyond resp. beneath the current scale) for decorating the melody in bar 3 and 7 of the A section (which can be fine at some point but ain't here). I would suggest to simply skip these notes as the sustained notes can sound very nice here.

The approach with uke and recorder is working fine once again! :)

Best wishes - Wolf

No problems, Wolf. I was aware of the "swallowing" beats at the end of sections. That was the main reason I was unhappy with the result. When I tried re-recording earlier I was making so many mistakes elsewhere I just decided to abandon.

The decoration was just either brief bellows reversal or tapping an adjacent button but when I thought about it, the notes did not belong in the key of the tune. If I'd been playing a flute or recorder, I would probably have done a roll there. I've not really got the knack of decoration on the anglo yet, though.

Your comments prompted me to bite the bullet and have another go at re-recording. Hopefully, I've fixed the timing issue and I left out the decoration, though I did toy with some alternative decoration which would fit better with the key of the tune but decided to leave it for now.

Here it is again Metsäkukkia

The original link should still work as I deleted first then uploaded the new version so the actual link address is the same.

Edited by Tootler

Your comments prompted me to bite the bullet and have another go at re-recording. Hopefully, I've fixed the timing issue and I left out the decoration, though I did toy with some alternative decoration which would fit better with the key of the tune but decided to leave it for now.

Here it is again Metsäkukkia

I'd say it has been worth the added effort, makes a pleasant listen now... :)

This is my first song a the C/G Morse Anglo (My other concertina is G/D and it takes some getting used to the different fingering and notes. There are mistakes :)

This concertina was purchased from c.net's Charlie Gravel and the pretty basic and unadulterated version of Metsakukkia is dedicated to him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkM8phx6yB8

Nice. You've put together a good arrangement, and the new instrument sounds great. As I've said before, my experience has been that C/G hybrids sound more like 'real' concertinas than G/D hybrids.

The local dulcimer group plays this. Attached is the page from our music collection. It looks like C but I guess it's A minor. I have an mp3 of the group playing it (without my fiddling) from 2011, but I'm not sure if I can attach a 3 Mb file here.

post-10117-0-69789300-1423969352_thumb.jpg

Here's my first attempt:

- not to my entire satisfation, but it's letting you guys hear what I'm trying to say here I reckon... :)

Best wishes - Wolf

Nice one, Wolf.

I like the way you've varied your arrangement and captured some of the accordion style towards the end.

Best wishes - Wolf

Thank you Wolf, for your advice, I'll try to play these notes longer now :) ! This time I put the whole tune in a notation programm and played a slowed down version while listening with headphone. But the recorded version was without this help.

Here's my first attempt:

- not to my entire satisfation, but it's letting you guys hear what I'm trying to say here I reckon... :)

Best wishes - Wolf

I really enjoyed to listen this version, but you named this only WIP :) , so I'm curious to hear the final version!

And here is mine, same like last month:

" Beginner, only melody, tips, comments, suggestions welcome :) !"

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dl2ywx0nbhgexj2/Metsäkukkia-TOTM.mp3?dl=0

Nice job Toffie. I started to try to do TOTM a few months after I started to play the concertina,about a year ago. It is a great teaching tool. I it makes me learn keys and chords and tunes that I would not normally seek out.

Keep up the nice work.

Hi Daria, thank you for your comment too! I think TOTM is a great challenge and motivation to keep on learning concertina. You started playing concertina only one year ago? It sounds like more years ;) ! I hope that I'll be able to add a little bit accompaniment soon.

Your new concertina sounds ( and looks ) great!

Daria, What software are you using that makes the lines in different colors? Is it freeware? ... and hoping not to sidetrack the thread on Metsakukkia with a software discussion. Attached is a more readable update of the pdf version in A minor that's played locally and the ABC file below.

X:1
T: Metsäkukkia
T: Woodland Flowers Waltz
O: Trad Finland
Z: Frosties version
M: 3/4
L: 1/8
K:Am
%%barnumbers 4
|:z2 EE| "Am"E2 A2 B2 | c2 B2 A2 | e2 A2 B2 | cB A2 EE | E2 A2 B2 | c2 B2 A2 | "Dm"f2 A2 B2 | d2 c2 B2 |
"Dm"d2 e2 f2 | f2 e2 d2 | "Am"e2 A2 B2 | c2 B2 A2| "E7"E2 ^G2 B2 | d2 c2 B2 | "Am"A3 A A2 | A2 :|
|: a3f | "G7"f6- | f2 a3 f | "C"e6- | e2 f3 e | "E7"d6- | d2 e2 d2 | "Am"c6- | c4 e2 |
| "Am"e2 e2 e2 | e2 d2 c2 | "E7"B6- | B6- | E2 ^G2 E2 | c4 B2 | "Am"A3 A A2 | A2 :|
|: a3^g | "Am"a2 e3e | e4 c>B | c4 A>^G | A4 e2 | "Dm"f4 e2 | d2 f2 a2 | "Am"e2 A2 B2 | c2 B2 A2 |
"E7"E2 ^G3 A | B6 | "Am"E2 A3 B | c6 | "E7"E2 ^G2 A2 | B2 c2 B2 | "Am"A3 A A2 | A2 :|

Metsakukkia Waltz - Frosties Am .pdf

This was a struggle and I hope to re-record it, but meanwhile, here's what I played today:

https://soundcloud.com/moonsagotunes/metsakukkia-flowers-trampled-will-be-redone

There's some extra noise from the bird, but next time I'll try for a quieter setting.

I'm not too happy with this recording but I am still getting the song comfortably into my memory. Maybe a few more tries.

UPDATE:

I did redo this....

https://soundcloud.com/moonsagotunes/metsakukkiawoodlandflowers

Edited by Wendy Stanford

This was a struggle and I hope to re-record it, but meanwhile, here's what I played today:

https://soundcloud.com/moonsagotunes/metsakukkia-flowers-trampled-will-be-redone

There's some extra noise from the bird, but next time I'll try for a quieter setting.

I'm not too happy with this recording but I am still getting the song comfortably into my memory. Maybe a few more tries.

Nice, Wendy. And the foot bass really adds a lot.

That sounded really good. The foot bass definitely adds something.