Arran And Concertina's

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many languages do we speak between us, I wonder? Dutch, Danish, German, Japanese - what else?

I know there are speakers of Dutch, Danish, English (various dialects), Japanese, Russian, Swedish, Spanish (various dialects), Basque, Icelandic, German (various dialects), and Serbian or Croatian here on C.net, and I'm pretty sure that Polish, French (various dialects), Norwegian, Afrikaans, Irish, and many more are also represented. Anybody here speak Tagalog, Telegu, Farsi, Urdu, Bantu, Quechua, Welsh, Swahili, or...?

I know a few phrases in Scots Gaelic.. and a friend did try to teach me some Tetum but it didn't stick [no corny jokes please! ;)]

But I digress :P

Thank you again Samatha for organsing a fabulous weekend, and please put Martin and I down for 2007! :D

Henrik you were sorely missed! :)

Real highlights for me were: [*]Samantha playing the Arran air (please make a recording of it!) :wub:

Henk I found one, on the recording of the get together on the Saturday night!

It will be up on my webpage soon [along with the sound files of mine you already have, as my new site allows linking if you want to save bandwidth on yours :)]

Cheers, Morgana

Henk I found one, on the recording of the get together on the Saturday night!

It will be up on my webpage soon [along with the sound files of mine you already have, as my new site allows linking if you want to save bandwidth on yours :)]

Cheers, Morgana

I'm realy looking forward to hear the sound-files!!

Cheers, Morgana - there's some lovely tunes on your site. I hope I get my playing up to some kind of scratch, so I can make it to Arran next year, too.

I would highly recommend going no matter what your playing level. While the playing ability of this year's group was light years ahead of mine, it was just so great to be able to share a love of the music and the instrument. I learnt a lot, had lots of fun,made some good friends and got to try some amazing instruments.

But hey if you can't make it next year, see you in 2007! :D

I hope I get my playing up to some kind of scratch, so I can make it to Arran next year, too.

Don't be silly! If you feel you're not "up to scratch", we'll help you learn to scratch. The ACE is a friendly gathering, not an "experts only" exclusive club. Rank -- and even unranked -- beginners are just as welcome as anybody else. :)

Exactly! We even had a couple of very welcome members who didn't play concertina at all (although I'd heard that one has taken it up since! :))

Hey if nothing else, go for the food - it was delcious! :D

Cheers, Morgana - there's some lovely tunes on your site. I hope I get my playing up to some kind of scratch, so I can make it to Arran next year, too.

Cream-T, I based this event on one I went to in Sweden when I'd been playing concertina for about a year. I had such a good time with such great people, united by enjoyment of music in general and the concertina in particular (and good food). It's an event for all concertina enthusiasts and the concertina tolerant - please do come next year! It'd be great to meet you!

Samantha

PS We have some great stones here!

(edited to add PS).

Edited by Samantha

I'm realy looking forward to hear the sound-files!!

And you can now do so here: www.ptollemy.com

Cheers

Morgana

That was fast! Along with your photos, the tunes give a fine overview of the Event! Next year!

/Henrik

P.S. The "Title unknown", played by Nils and Jim is "Rolling in the Barrel" - it can be found on Mary MacNamara's first, track 13, logically followed by "The Tap Room" (Where else would you roll barrels? :D )

That was fast! Along with your photos, the tunes give a fine overview of the Event! Next year!

/Henrik

P.S. The "Title unknown", played by Nils and Jim is "Rolling in the Barrel" - it can be found on Mary MacNamara's first, track 13, logically followed by "The Tap Room" (Where else would you roll barrels? :D )

Yes, not bad since I've only been back in the contry four days! :D

Thank you for the track titles :)

Cheers

Morgana

Well I've had a good read of the posts and also a look and a listen to Morgana's excellent site. I see that I missed a great time that was had by you all and I regret not being able to join you.

However with a bit of luck I'll get there next year as it should be a bit easier getting my daughter installed for her 2nd year at Uni. I think someone needs to come and play you a bit of good old English Traditional music to take your minds off all that Irish stuff and remind Chris of what I heard him play so well at the ECM weekend at Postlip ;) .

Seriously I'm very glad you had a great time and I'm only jealous.

Roll on 2006!

Pete