Arran And Concertina's

Hello from Patricia and Nigel.

It was good to meet you all, and I am only just getting acquainted with concertina.net. ....

... Nigel is now trying to learn the concertina! I have 2 so it would be good if we could play together.

Welcome Patricia and Nigel!

It's good to see you at the C.Net forum. Last Sunday at the end of the session in Brodick I saw Nigel playing the anglo. Go on Nigel ;)

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Due to a short holiday just after the Arran Concertina Event, I did not have time to update the ACE web-site.

Today I finally found some time to start with an update: impression on the ACE 2005.

To make this "impressions" page much more attractive, I ask all the participants to contribute (on this forum or direct by e-mail to me) about their impressions/highlights, so I can publish them on the ACE web-site.

Real highlights for me were:

• Samantha playing the Arran air (please make a recording of it!) :wub:
  • Joining the guys in the Kilmorie pub with "Making Whoopie" and "Grandfather's Clock" :)
  • much much more

Thanks in advance

[*]Samantha playing the Arran air (please make a recording of it!) :wub:

Did anyone make a recording on Samatha's class on Arran tunes, as this is the only thing I tried to record that didn't work out!

We arrived back in Oz an hour and a half ago, so I have only just arrived home, but will post more with photos/recordings etc hopefully sometime soon :)

Thanks again,

Cheers

Morgana :D

[Did anyone make a recording on Samatha's class on Arran tunes, as this is the only thing I tried to record that didn't work out!

I think I did, but I haven't checked the recoridng yet. I will do so this weekend.

Chris

PS Talking of matters Antipodean, I had the new bass end reed blocks for the Anglodeon through the post today from Pete Hyde. Now the instrument is complete. Progress report to follow.

OK, I can't resist any longer! Every time I see this title I think of the book I'm reading. 'Eats, Shoots and Leaves'. The title has what is described in the book as a greengrocer's apostrophe.

I'm only part of the way through it, but I would highly recommend the book.

Every time I see this title I think of the book I'm reading. 'Eats, Shoots and Leaves'.

Sounds to me like a story about a Dodge City restaurant. :unsure:

It's all in the punctuation! It's actually a description of the Panda. Remove the punctuation error (the comma) and all becomes clear.

One of the author's pet peeves is the 'greengrocer's apostrophe', added when there is a plural (e.g. banana's)

Every time I see this title I think of the book I'm reading. 'Eats, Shoots and Leaves'.
Sounds to me like a story about a Dodge City restaurant. :unsure:
It's all in the punctuation! It's actually a description of the Panda. Remove the punctuation error (the comma) and all becomes clear.

One of the author's pet peeves is the 'greengrocer's apostrophe', added when there is a plural (e.g. banana's)

A potentially interesting topic, but one I've given up discussing in groups like this. It seems that today few people have even been taught "the rules", but even if they have, various "authorities" differ significantly on just what those rules are. I myself don't recall ever encountering the so-called "greengrocer's apostrophe" that you suggest annoys author Lynne Truss so much. On the other hand, a quick Google search to learn more about the book led me to (among other things) a review that claims her book is riddled with just the sort of punctuational errors the disparaging of which is its basis.

However, "Eats Shoots and Leaves", without the comma, might as well describe my brother as a panda. :) So while removing the comma may help to clarify the mearning of the quoted phrase, I don't think it makes "all" clear. Besides, how can I be sure that removing the comma is the correct correction? E.g., if one replaces the comma with a colon, the phrase becomes a menu. ;)

Setting aside the fact that the point of Lynne Truss's* title did indeed have to do with pandas, the main issue for me is that you can't edit the title of a posting as you can edit the posting itself, which I have long regarded as a fault in the software.

Chris

*Probably incorrect usage, but then who cares!

"Concertina's at Arran" doesn't need an apostrophe. It is another case of the grocer's apostrophe, which does need one.

OK, I can't resist any longer! Every time I see this title I think of the book I'm reading. 'Eats, Shoots and Leaves'. The title has what is described in the book as a greengrocer's apostrophe.

I myself don't recall ever encountering the so-called "greengrocer's apostrophe" that you suggest annoys author Lynne Truss so much.

Setting aside the fact that the point of Lynne Truss's* title did indeed have to do with pandas, the main issue for me is that you can't edit the title of a posting as you can edit the posting itself, which I have long regarded as a fault in the software.

Agreed. It would be nice to have that capability.

Moderators do have this ability on Invisionboard forums. If any of our Mods would be so kind as to remove the apostrophe, I'd be rather grateful, too! :)

What a fuzz about such a tiny '

Just a small mistake by me... and BTW what you might not know is that in my native language the plural of concertina is... concertina's :D !!!

So whenever you contribute to a Dutch forum, you won't make that mistake :P

Henk, it's not that the mistake itself is so horrible (hey, I'm furrin too), but that we're forced to see it again and again and again and again every time someone posts in this thread. It's driving the sticklers amongst us :wacko:

:-)

...we're forced to see it again and again and again and again every time someone posts in this thread. It's driving the sticklers amongst us :wacko: :-)

There are sticklers and sticklers. (Also sticklebacks, but they belong in the old "name that fish" thread. :)) I consider myself a stickler on the subjects of spelling and grammar, but I don't stress myself over things I can't control. I have long since stopped even seeing that "error"... except when some of the rest of us obsess about it. Then the whole todo gives me a good laugh. :P

And according to Henk's explanation, the fault lies not in his usage, but in our own ignorance of Dutch, so we should really be looking for a course where we can learn his language. :) (Beware! I'll be expecting you all to learn Danish next. B))

Edited by JimLucas

The beauty of music! We can communicate between all nations without having to speak the language (except for very important words, like this one and its international equivalents ;)) - if we get the decorations wrong or even play a bum note, who cares?

How many languages do we speak between us, I wonder? Dutch, Danish, German, Japanese - what else?

Squeeze on!