Arran And Concertina's

A specially customised ( :P ) Bob Tedrow 30 button anglo concertina is being sent to Arran to make its debut appearance at the start of a UK tour.

Just had an email from Graham Bradshaw - he's sending me a box of 15 Anglo International CDs to bring to the Event. Form an orderly queue ...

The Saga of the CDs gets better. Brian Peters has just made a new CD called "Anglophilia" ...  Brian has asked me if I could take half-a-dozen up to Arran with me, and I am delighted to do so. What an amazing time for anglo recordings!

Together with good (concertina playing) company on a beautiful island, the ferry-concert and maybe Henrik's self built concertina ( :unsure: ? :unsure: ?), this will make the ACE quite an event!!

edited to add: whisky, beer, neeps & tatties, haggis and black pudding

Edited by Henk van Aalten

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Together with good (concertina playing) company on a beautiful island, the ferry-concert and maybe Henrik's self built concertina ( :unsure: ? :unsure: ?), this will make the ACE quite an event!!

edited to add: whisky, beer, neeps & tatties, haggis and black pudding

Thanks for the confidence, Henk, but you will have to put up with the tiny, battered Stagi :ph34r: a little longer.

I have made progress, though, but basically only regained the step I lost by my (silly) choice of plywood for the reed pan walls.

New walls are made (maple), and routed (left side only). The tiny cross-walls are made and routed (all). Next step is gluing them together into one unit.

I have made one template lever (handcut from 1 mm brass plate, grrrrr) - only 27 left :( .

The lever posts (Geuns-Wakker style) are being made as a joint venture between a brilliant tool maker just around the corner and myself. He makes a fixture, I drill the cross hole, he drills the bottom hole and routs the 1 mm slit, I thread the hole with 2MG. The I pay a fortune (no, a small fortune - it was his suggestion to divide the work, to keep down costs).

The holes for buttons are all drilled, in the buttons plate and the base plate. (Have make a terminology list soon!) Next step after that is to take a dummy side (aluminium) and make a hole for one button only, gradually enlarging it (and enlarging it in the bushing (test) board, too) until the movement feels right. Then do the raw bushing boards.

Pads and sampers have arrived - I'll make the leather beads myself (the miser in me...). And the springs - done that before.

But it seems like most of the demanding woodworking is over, and I can use the darkness of fall to fiddle with all the little details.

I am fighting a very bad cold right now, and certainly hope I'll recover in time. I know it will be a grand event!

/Henrik

Edited to add three photos:

Get the jeweller's saw out:

post-448-1128101150_thumb.jpg

First small guide holes:

post-448-1128101193_thumb.jpg

The button holes are done:

post-448-1128101224_thumb.jpg

Edited by Henrik Müller

Dear Arran-travellers -

It is with a very sad heart I write these lines:

The cold which I was fighting last week turned out to more than a cold: yesterday I was diagnosed with what is probably the worst throat infection I've ever had. The last 4 days and nights have been completely without sleep at all (didn't know that was possible). I have coughed so much that the muscles, back and front, hurt as if I have been beaten and ribs broken. The voice has gone, of course. Antibiotics for 10 days.

Arrrgh! I wanted to go so much - I was really starting to look forward.

Samantha - I hope you repeat the success (as it is bound to be) next year! And I join Alan when he says: "A report on this desk is required early next week, with photos."

Now, you go and have a great time!

/Henrik

Dear Arran-travellers -

It is with a very sad heart I write these lines:

The cold which I was fighting last week turned out to more than a cold: yesterday I was diagnosed with what is probably the worst throat infection I've ever had. The last 4 days and nights have been completely without sleep at all (didn't know that was possible). I have coughed so much that the muscles, back and front, hurt as if I have been beaten and ribs broken. The voice has gone, of course. Antibiotics for 10 days.

Arrrgh! I wanted to go so much - I was really starting to look forward.

Samantha - I hope you repeat the success (as it is bound to be) next year! And I join Alan when he says: "A report on this desk is required early next week, with photos."

Now, you go and have a great time!

/Henrik

What a pity to hear this Henrik :( Get well soon!

Curses and naughty words! That is bad news, Henrik. I was really looking forward to your company in the car after the 12.30 crossing. I can only join with Henk in saying "get well soon!". I can promise you we will drink to your health in Arran malt.

Chris

Dear Arran-travellers -

It is with a very sad heart I write these lines: ... Arrrgh! I wanted to go so much - I was really starting to look forward.... Now, you go and have a great time!

/Henrik

Oh, Henrik, I am so sorry to hear this. Get well soon and make sure you come to next year's event!

Samantha

:D

Glad you made it back ok, Jill. I second your feelings for the weekend.

Brilliant, Samantha! Can we do it again, please?  :D

Yup, it was an epic journey home too....... If it hadn't been for Hilary I wouldn't have been typing at 1.30 am this morning or indeed this!

The ferry was diverted from Ardrossan to Gourock because the weather was a little inclement, thus causing a major fret when I asked the question

"will I make my flight at 9o/c from Glasgow?" The answer was the equally pithy "weeell, (sucked teeth for added effect) you're f*%£ed without a lift to the airport".

In the face of a howling wind and a near howling Jill, Hilary kindly took me to the airport (she's a star and a fantastic singer), I made the flight and thus was able to bore the students rigid with the tale today. Oh, and the plane was two hours delayed and the secure carpark had closed at Bristol. I loved Arran but I was so pleased to see Bath again.

Right, I'm off to find my camera now and I'll post any usable photos.

Jill

I have already booked Kilmory Lodge for the weekend of 6th to 9th October 2006 (Friday evening to Monday morning).

It was great to see old friends and make new ones, and I hope everyone gets/got safely home without too much delay!

Paul, if you read this, we passed the hat round for c.net as the event simply wouldn't have happened without your tolerance of my shameless use of this site for publicity purposes, and I'll be making a Paypal donation of the proceeds as soon as I have recovered enough to work out how to do this (I know it's simple, but I'm t.....i.....r....e.........d.............. ).

Samantha

I have decided to add Gourock to my list of swear words, as in "What a load of old Gourock". The 11 am ferry yesterday was diverted to Gourock, as a result of which our fery at 1 pm was cancelled. At least the following ferry did make into Ardrossan rather than Gourock, but we still didn't get to our B&B until 11 pm after a 150 mile drive through darkness and appalling weather. Still, we made sure James got his plane OK. Jill, we've got your concertina (and your scotch) safe.

Here is a nice picture to be going on with:-

ACE.jpg

Despite the horror stories, the travel wasn't that bad, and the weekend was brilliant from start to finish. To misquote the Governor of California, "We'll be back!". Nice one Samantha.

Chris

Seconded and thirded from me!

I had the best time and learned a great deal from everyone. It was good that everyone had something to offer.

Chris, what kept you? I was in my local just north of Birmingham at 10:30! (and a lovely pint it was too!)

Many thanks, Samantha (and Dave) for the effort you put in and the hospitality on Sunday night/Monday morning. Did anyone on Arran find out about my sleeping arrangements?

Derek

Lost property

I know the owners of all the items left behind after the event except for two lovely Irish concertina CDs. Please would the owner contact me and I'll arrange for their safe return (after I've listened to them a few more times ;) )!

Samantha

PS I'd just like to welcome padraigin to c.net :D .

Edited by Samantha

Hi from Sunny Donegal (Ireland)! :)

The Arran weekend was fabulous! A big thank you to Samatha for organizing it all, to everyone for participating, and especially to Henk for his pearls of wisdom :)

We should have come back to Sam's to party on as the 8.10 am ferry was cancelled, and the 11 am diverted to Gourock. A long story, of which I won't go into right now... :P

We'll be back in Oz the first week in November, so hopefully photos/ mpegs/ weekend diary will be up on my website sometime not too long after. (URL will be advised :)

Thanks again, and see you all again in 2007!

(Helen - hoping you will be there too :D

Hello from Patricia and Nigel.

It was good to meet you all, and I am only just getting acquainted with concertina.net.

We thoroughly enjoyed the Arran concertina event and will come again next year. We met Chris, Anne, James and Derek on the afternoon ferry and got back to Derbyshire at 11.30 pm.

Nigel is now trying to learn the concertina! I have 2 so it would be good if we could play together.

Nigel is now trying to learn the concertina! I have 2 so it would be good if we could play together.

Anne and I have played a fair bit of concertina together over the years. It's a fun thing to do. Definitely go for it!

Chris

PS I second Samantha's welcome

Me too! Playing in threes is definitely fun too, fours is brilliant and so, before I get carried away with the numbers, welcome to the forum. In fact you could join Henk's big band and play with us all!

It was delightful to meet you both; and I hope to see you again next year.

Regards, Jill