Arran And Concertina's

That ferry would get you to Prestwick airport station at 1.15 - do you have to check in one hour or half an hour before the flight?

Samantha

Check-in closes 40 minutes before dept. time so at 13.35 (1.35). That leaves 20 minutes to get from the train (which stops almost in the departure hall) to the check-in desk.

So I will leave Arran with the 11.05 ferry.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check-in closes 40 minutes before dept. time so at 13.35 (1.35). That leaves 20 minutes to get from the train (which stops almost in the departure hall) to the check-in desk.

I always try to allow extra time... for recovery in case something goes wrong. More than once this habit has saved me from disaster. So were it me, I would take the earlier ferry.

As it happens, return connections are so poor for me that I don't expect to leave on the same day as you folks. Then again, maybe it would be worth paying for an extra round trip on the ferry just to join in your session. :)

I'd like to suggest a couple of tunes that people may wish to get to know before the Arran Concertina Event. There is no compulsion to learn them if they don't appeal , but they may give us a little common ground when we meet.

The first is Henk's suggestion, The Arran Boat. There are, in fact, two versions of this in the Tune-o-tron, but there is little difference between them that I can see.

The second I have taken from Dan Worral's post in the "English style of Anglo playing" thread, and is called Scotch  ;) ! This is marked up for fingering and bellows movement for a C/G anglo, but I think there is a mistake in the last bar (measure) of the first line which must be played push not draw as shown.

As I say, you don't have to look at these tunes at all, but it may be helpful to some people to know a couple of tunes that others will also know.

Looking forward to seeing/meeting you all.

Samantha

Using all my "ABC-abilities" I wrote out the tune "Scotch no.8" in ABC and entered it in the Tune-O-Tron. It sounds OK to me and I can add that to my ears it might as well be a Dutch tune B).

:D

I am delighted to announce that there will be a Special Guest at the Arran Concertina Event.

A specially customised ( :P ) Bob Tedrow 30 button anglo concertina is being sent to Arran to make its debut appearance at the start of a UK tour. Where it goes next is anyone's guess, but the show starts here on Arran :) !

I am proud and honoured that Bob has chosen this event to launch this instrument on its travels :) . I know we'll all be interested to see it, and have the opportunity to play, and comment on, (or place orders for!) this truly special instrument.

:D

Samantha

PS Where's the smiley for a fanfare when you need one, eh?

PPS Please excuse the plethora of smilies but I'm so thrilled!

"Concertina's at Arran" doesn't need an apostrophe. It is another case of the grocer's apostrophe, which does need one.

Don't get possesive!

Hyphen-python.

Still on a grammatical note, in her book "Eats Shoots and Leaves", Lynne Truss gives the "long suffering python" as an excellent example of not using a hyphen.

Edited by geoffwright

...in her book "Eats Shoots and Leaves", Lynne Truss gives the "long suffering python" as an excellent example of not using a hyphen.

But then shouldn't it have a comma? I.e., "the long, suffering python". :unsure:

It depends upon whether "long" refers to the length of the python or the length of the suffering.

...in her book "Eats Shoots and Leaves", Lynne Truss gives the "long suffering python" as an excellent example of not using a hyphen.

But then shouldn't it have a comma? I.e., "the long, suffering python". :unsure:

It depends upon whether "long" refers to the length of the python or the length of the suffering.

And perhaps on whether the suffering python is a particular species, as is the reticulated python. :)

The Saga of the CDs gets better. Brian Peters has just made a new CD called "Anglophilia" (you can probably guess from the name which instrument Brian is playing) which has been given a quick review on this forum by Martyn here.

Bria has asked me if I could take half-a-dozen up to Arran with me, and I am delighted to do so. What an amazing time for anglo recordings!

Chris