Arran And Concertina's

Samantha - in order to make that work we need some way of making sound, a normal small hi-fi system would do fine. Is there something of the kind in the place where it's all happening?

Chris

Chris

In order to make this hi-fi system work, you need some electricity. Remember, Arran is an island and the probability that you will have electricity is lower than on the main land.

Better ask Samantha to bring her generator as well :)

Edited by Henk van Aalten

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Arran Boat" tune

There are, in fact, two versions of this in the Tune-o-tron

The version under the name "The Arran Boat Song", in 6/8 time, is closer to the version I know.

I got my version from "Kerr's Merry Melodies for the Violin" Vol 1 (Glasgow, undated), now sadly out of print.

I noticed on the same page a tune called "Arran Lilt"

Would you like to try it as well?

PS I would like to be there, but unfortunately I've something else on in Edinburgh that weekend.

PS I would like to be there, but unfortunately I've something else on in Edinburgh that weekend.
That's a shame, but there's always next year :rolleyes: !
Which reminds me...

For months I had been teasing myself with the possibility of coming but clearly it's time to realistically assess the chance and there isn't much of one. Have a good time. I'll try again next year.

[snip] ...For months I had been teasing myself with the possibility of coming but clearly it's time to realistically assess the chance and there isn't much of one. Have a good time. I'll try again next year.

Bother! But I'll put you down for next year, too! So far we have eight anglo players, four English system and one Crane duet player coming (Jim, I've only listed you once!), plus a non-concertina spouse (fiddler player, I think). Any more for any more?

Samantha

Henk van Aalten has very kindly made available to me some of his webspace and talent and enabled me to put information about the Arran Concertina Event out there on the net. The page can be found here. If you have any questions please get in touch.

Thanks Henk! while I'm thanking people I'll thank Paul for letting me use his site so shamelessly to promote this event!

Samantha

Thanks for the compliments Derek, but it's Henk who missed his metier in advertising ^_^ !

Samantha

PS Do hope you can make it!

PPS I'll put out a collecting tin at the event for a mass donation to c.net as a thank you for Paul enabling this to come together!

Edited by Samantha

So my daughter, bless her little heart, has worked her socks off for the last couple of years and come out of her "A" levels with 3 "A" grades. I'm chuffed to bits as she's got onto a great History course at York University.

We are now planning all the things to buy and sorting out all of things to do to include transport to the University which isn't too far away and my car is therefore booked to be filled with all of the necessary goodies.... OF COURSE THE DAMNED THING JUST HAPPENS TO BE ON THE WEEKEND OF 8th/9th OCTOBER i.e. THE SAME WEEKEND AS THE CONCERTINA WEEKEND and if I come to Arran instead then I'll probably be disowned by the kids as well as divorced by the wife. I wouldn't care but I've already turned down attending a really good school reunion so that I could come. :angry:

Regretfully therefore and with a heavy heart, I must cancel my reservation (or postpone it until next year), and in so doing I feel gutted to miss what promises to be a superb weekend. :(

My apologies to all for my absence

Pete