Arran And Concertina's

Morgana and Mr Morgana (all the way from Australia!)

That would be Martin :P

With 4 wimps in the hotel (Chris and Anne, and the Morganas)

Well we have to keep Chris and Anne company :)

Chris - we will be on the 12.30 pm ferry and are definitely up for a session in the bar! :D

(How big is this ferry anyway?)

Cheers

Morgana

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Morgana and Mr Morgana (all the way from Australia!)

That would be Martin :P

With 4 wimps in the hotel (Chris and Anne, and the Morganas)

Well we have to keep Chris and Anne company :)

Chris - we will be on the 12.30 pm ferry and are definitely up for a session in the bar! :D

(How big is this ferry anyway?)

Cheers

Morgana

- more critical: how big is the bar? :D

/Henrik

The crossing takes 55 minutes, which should be enough time for a couple of English or Scottish tunes - or a couple of dozen Irish ones ;)

Chris

Maybe "The Arran Boat" is an appropriate tune? However, being a slow tune in E Dorian it makes it more a sad tune to finish the event on the boat back to "normal life".

Does anyone have an idea of how complicated/expensive it would be to get there from London? If it's going to cost several hundred pounds just for travel, we probably won't be able to go...

Does anyone have an idea of how complicated/expensive it would be to get there from London?  If it's going to cost several hundred pounds just for travel, we probably won't be able to go...

How complicated? Once you get to the Glasgow terminal (Central Station, Glasgow Airport or Prestwick Airport) it is a 1 hour rail journey to Ardrossan Harbour, then a one hour ferry journey to Arran where someone (me, probably!) will meet you.

How expensive? As of now the Easyjet price for return tickets London Luton to Glasgow (for TWO people) is £105.96, to which you should add around £18 each for the fares from the airport to Arran, plus fares to Luton from London. The Ryanair price is £110.36, with a similar additional £18-ish at the Scottish end and London to Stansted return fares to add. Both Stansted and Luton returns from central London cost around £28 per person as far as I can recall, and cheaper fares from either or both airlines may be available later. It seems that you can't book rail tickets more than three months in advance over the internet: however booking a Central London to Ardrossan Harbour return ticket for two people six weeks ahead as of today costs around £187 (again for TWO people). You could bring this price right down to £76 by travelling by coach to Glasgow overnight, but that is quite hard work ... :blink:

Rail/flight ticket costs vary according to how far in advance you book them. A travel agent may be able to advise you on cheaper routes.

Please contact me if you want any further help or advice. Hope this helps.

Samantha

Edited by Samantha

It's worth remembering that, alhough an island, Arran is still part of the British Isles and so not all that bad to get to. From memory the ferry is about 60-70 pounds return for a car with 2 passengers.

There may be some scope for car sharing. Wrigglefingers, do you want a lift?

Chris

Edited by Chris Timson

Hello Chris,

Thanks for the offer but I booked my flight in April for mid-afternoon. For interest, it cost about £53 from Bristol which whilst not a bargain, beats driving up for me at the end of a long week at school. Sadly, it means I shall miss the 12.30pm sailing, but if the plane's not late or any of the other possible horrors occur I shall be on the last sailing on Friday. I'm really looking forward to it!

Regards, Jill

Hi Samantha,

I would like to come to Aran. I  got a flight from Lübeck for 2,-- Euros (Ryan Air). The bus to the airport is about ten times more.

Nils

Welcome, Nils, we'd love to see you, and well done on getting such a cracking fare!

Samantha

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to suggest a couple of tunes that people may wish to get to know before the Arran Concertina Event. There is no compulsion to learn them if they don't appeal , but they may give us a little common ground when we meet.

The first is Henk's suggestion, The Arran Boat. There are, in fact, two versions of this in the Tune-o-tron, but there is little difference between them that I can see.

The second I have taken from Dan Worral's post in the "English style of Anglo playing" thread, and is called Scotch ;) ! This is marked up for fingering and bellows movement for a C/G anglo, but I think there is a mistake in the last bar (measure) of the first line which must be played push not draw as shown.

As I say, you don't have to look at these tunes at all, but it may be helpful to some people to know a couple of tunes that others will also know.

Looking forward to seeing/meeting you all.

Samantha

• 5 weeks later...

I just wanted to say that as this weekend draws ever nearer I can't wait to pick up my "newish" Lachanael and finally get to meet you all on the Arran isle! :D

It looks like I shall have two new instruments to bring along to show people: the Anglodeon of course, plus my new Lach anglo MIDI conversion by Roy Whiteley. Samantha - in order to make that work we need some way of making sound, a normal small hi-fi system would do fine. Is there something of the kind in the place where it's all happening?

Chris