Arran And Concertina's

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol:

I've never been to Arran, I'm told by my wife that it is a lovely place although they do tend to have the odd rain shower. However, John Shuttleworth, the singer/songwriter from Sheffield, South Yorkshire wrote a song called "Isle of Arran". I'll just give you the chorus, the rest of the words along with many others are in his book "honed lyrics" published by the Warple Press

"Oh, I've got a son called Darren

and a daughter whose name is Karen

Without them my life would be barren

like living on the Isle of Arran"

:D

I think I'll leave it at that... all the best

"Oh, I've got a son called Darren

and a daughter whose name is Karen

Without them my life would be barren

like living on the Isle of Arran"

I think we can judge the quality of his taste from the fact that he named his son Darren!

My bottles of Arran single malt arrived Monday. A couple of drams of that and my concertina playing starts to sound really good to me. Only fair to say Anne does not share this opinion...

Chris

[Henk, look what you've started!] :blink:  :ph34r:  :unsure:

But what did you expect with such an island ;) . Organising a squeeze in on Spitsbergen in the autumn... Now that would be a challenge!!

But why would anyone want to go to Spitsbergen in July ;)

Sorry I just saw this thread and couldn't resist :).

--

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

I will be playing (concertina) on Arran with the Whistlebinkies on 12 March at Whiting Bay - Arran Music Society organising I believe.

Norman Chalmers, the great Scottish concertinist, once told me that he was insired to take up the instrument while on holiday on Arran where a relation lived and played.

I also remember seeing a photograph of an excellent stained glass window in a house on Arran featuring a kilded concertinist!! Anyone know where it is?

I hope to have my history of the concertina in Scotland posted on the web before long.

Stuart

• 2 months later...

[takes deep breath] .... okay ...

How about the first Arran Concertina Event (ACE for short!!) will take place on 7th to 9th October, with participants arriving on the afternoon/evening of Friday 7th and departing on the afternoon of Sunday 9th.

I hope to keep the APPROXIMATE cost of two nights accommodation with full board down to around £50 but am not sure at this stage.

Accommodation is in two bunk-bed rooms each sleeping eight, and there are two twin rooms for which I think we may have to draw lots!

The format will be very similar to the Scandinavian Squeeze-in - i.e. very informal, people sharing their experience and tunes with each other.

For those who want background and travel information, Henk has very kindly provided this post, which is what started this whole thread off.

So ...

Who all's a-comin'?

Samantha

[runs for cover with heart beating furiously. Thinks "Oh, crikey, what have I let myself in for"]

PS It would be great if c.net subscribers emailed me if interested ...

Edited by Samantha

Hi Samantha, Pete Dickey just availed me of this, I don't know how I missed it! Yes, if you could post an exact date, that would be great, so that we can all start making plans. If the dates don't clash with too much with work, I will plan on being there, thanks

Don Smith

i foresee one problem with this idea - the distillery...

now i've nothing against a musical weekend but how can i be expected to concentrate with casks of whisky quietly singing their sirens song? And so close at hand.

tis a cruel world and a crueler mind that passes, allows and enforces licensing laws :(

i foresee one problem with this idea - the distillery...

now i've nothing against a musical weekend but how can i be expected to concentrate with casks of whisky quietly singing their sirens song? And so close at hand.

I do not see any conflict in combining concertina playing with whiskey drinking :)

So ...

Who all's a-comin'?

You can count me in. I will be there :)

[takes deep breath] .... okay ...

[runs for cover with heart beating furiously. Thinks "Oh, crikey, what have I let myself in for"]

Let me know if I can be of any assistance...

I feel a wee bit responsible :unsure: