2 Voice Concertinas?

I'm sure this has been addressed in the past, but my search has been futile. Is there such a thing as a 2 voice English concertina? Assuming the answer is no, is the closest thing to this concept a unisonoric bandoneon?

Such things do exist. Check out Ian Robb's Aeola... featured on the "English International " CD.

I think Geoff Crabb had some information about a concertina with two reeds per note although it was discussed here some time ago.

Edited by Geoff Wooff

Lachenal made a two voice English concertina to compete with the up and coming piano-accordion before WW II. These were called "Accordeophones" They were square (like a bandoneon) with perloid ends. I have seen and heard one which the late Tom Jukes had and played. The sound was similar to a cheap Chinese melodeon ! One or two still exist and they were discussed on concertina.net about 10 years ago.

Inventor.

There was a spectacular 2 voice on eBay before Xmas with red leather bellows- I think it was a Crabb. The listing said that it had been one of 3 in red white and blue and had been used in a circus or music hall act I think. I can't find it in "completed listings" unfortunately.

I've sat next to Robin while he's played it. It has a distinctive (loud) sound that I wouldn't necessarily call beautiful (maybe handsome?), but certainly sounds like a well built, high quality instrument, and beautifully played. And very festive to look at!

Just a quick edit- I wouldn't want anyone to take any negative impressions from my comments above. It's a remarkable and unique instrument with a wonderful, but not typical English, voice.

Edited by Bill N

I'm sure this has been addressed in the past, but my search has been futile. Is there such a thing as a 2 voice English concertina? Assuming the answer is no, is the closest thing to this concept a unisonoric bandoneon?

What sort of "two voice" are you looking for? "Wet" (tremolo) tuned? In octaves? If in octaves, would you want it to be (for standard fingering) tuned like a treble plus an octave lower, or tuned like a treble plus an octave higher?

Also, if "close" to "this concept" could include a unisonric bandoneon, where the keyboard layout is nothing like Wheatstone's keyboard for the English, then what about using just the right hand of a CBA?

Jim,

I'm actually not looking for anything...at least I have no business looking for anything. I have grown accustomed to and enjoy the EC layout. I really like the fact that it can manage just about any key as easily as any other. I also enjoy the sound, though would sometimes like the option of 2 voices - on the dry side, maybe octaves. If I had significantly more time/money, I might go shopping for a bandoneon - either unisonoric or bisonoric. Truth is however, its no more than an idle fantasy and curiosity. CBA would be too big for my taste.

To quote Gordon Cutty:

"Octave work is easy on the English 'cos you're on opposite sides of the instrument..... " !!

Obviously this is not so easy in fast melody playing but it is possible to add phrases played in octaves for emphasis..... though I would like to have an 'add octave' switch like those of accordeons...... ;)

Brandon, as long as you're playing melody, or even as sort of an alteration when mainly playing in a "harmonic" style, doubling the notes in octaves (at times) by playing on both sides simultaneously would be an option, I always plan doing it more often 'cause it is sounding terrific (some fellow concertinist even told me he'd be doing it because it is supposed to bring tears into the ladies' eyes...), I guess partly because it's not to be heard all the time then...

There's a traditional style of playing the Anglo that way too...

Best wishes - Wolf

On the English it depends on what interval you're aiming at; every uneven numbered one is just fine, mainly thirds and fifths, whereas octave playing has to be rehearsed and is pretty counter-intuitive, as you have to switch between the sides whilst additionally commutating the low and the high octave... :rolleyes:

Lachenal made a two voice English concertina to compete with the up and coming piano-accordion before WW II. These were called "Accordeophones" They were square (like a bandoneon) with perloid ends. I have seen and heard one which the late Tom Jukes had and played. The sound was similar to a cheap Chinese melodeon ! One or two still exist and they were discussed on concertina.net about 10 years ago.

Actually, Brian, the Accordeaphone sounds a good deal nicer than that. It actually has three reeds on each note, two on the note and one an octave down. The result is a bit accordion-ish but quite rich and nice. We know of four in the world. There's an unplayable one in the Horniman, one belonging to another Brian, one sitting under Colin Dipper's workbench, and ours.

Here's a picture of ours:-

accphone1.jpg

Chris

I am just in final phase of my MIDIMINI, as Stagi MINI-sized 40 key MIDI ES concertina. Yesterday I got my first noises out - playing church organ;-) Not that one of these could replace an acoustic one - but it certainly is fun - and you can get as many voices, as you like!

...ohhhh, Chris; now there is something I could covet...... Would you make a little sound record for us all to hear? :)

What's the point of having a recording studio if you can't respond to a request like this?

I'll get Anne to play something in front of the mics in the next week or so.

Chris

...ohhhh, Chris; now there is something I could covet...... Would you make a little sound record for us all to hear? :)

What's the point of having a recording studio if you can't respond to a request like this?

I'll get Anne to play something in front of the mics in the next week or so.

Chris

I'm definitely looking forward to your posting it too... :)