What's This About Monkeys Anyway?

I've been involved with and playing concertinas since the late 80's, and over the years I have frequently heard references to monkeys when I played to people who are ignorant of folk music, or who just don't appreciate or understand anything that isn't on top 40 radio. My ex-wife was a prime example! She was the biggest transgressor in the monkey remark category. Now that my son plays(who also a sax player), the remarks have died down. It is just people being people, thinking they are funny, when they are not.

Edited by hielandman

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Stephen,

I agree with you. Your tina deserves the mink. Forget the feathers.

But the fact that you didn't address my remark that you are plotting something is worrisome. I knew it. You ARE plotting something.

Helen

Planning something...perhaps, but I confess to having a now out of control case of Concertina Envy :( .

Seeing what I assume to be the Lucas Collection on another thead here has just aggrivated my condition. Stephen, please administer the coupe de grace and post a picture of your beastie.

Planning something...perhaps, but I confess to having a now out of control case of Concertina Envy :(

Seeing what I assume to be the Lucas Collection on another thead here has just aggrivated my condition.  Stephen, please administer the coupe de grace and post a picture of your beastie.

I already did Mark, here, which is what started the present outbreak of concertina lust. It's only the (rather poor) seller's photograph off eBay, and it really doesn't do justice to her, she is much more beautiful in the flesh. :wub:

I must take some proper pictures myself, but I seem to have a problem posting any more photos at the moment anyway, with "Attachments Global Space Left: 445bytes". I must get onto Ken, or Paul about that. :(

Planning something...perhaps, but I confess to having a now out of control case of Concertina Envy :(

Seeing what I assume to be the Lucas Collection on another thead here has just aggrivated my condition.

Check the links. Both the photos I included are actually taken from elsewhere on C.net.

I prefer to remain mysterious about the details of my own "collection". :ph34r:

Please don't tell me it also has light brown bellows, for that would complete my utter dispair!  Aiyee!

Alright, I won't !

Actually they are a rather attractive shade somewhere between maroon and brown ("plum" perhaps ?). It looks like they may have used light brown leather and dyed it maroon ?

Frankly I cannot believe my luck, such concertinas (made at such a good period) are extremely rare. It really is my "dream machine", though I have been playing melodeon for the last few years, and had intentions of learning the Anglo.

It has given me a real lift after the disaster that was 2004 (I lost both my parents, got messed about over selling one property/my business and twice over ones I was trying to buy, got burgled & finished up breaking my ankle).

Stephen, then the concertina has found its rightful, loving home. Of course, it was a brownish leather which is perfection and my hidden envious monkey is in utter agony.

Both my parents went in the early 1990's and I'm afraid I was not quite sane for much of that decade. My Dominique was a saint and stayed with me for which I will always be grateful.

Your beautiful concertina must be a sign of a corner turned.

Despite my reservations with the instrument association, the ongoing popularity of this thread has helped me settle on an avatar: two post-Christmas steeply-discounted decorative monkeys beside the new Edgley C/G I recently purchased. Consider the choice as my effort at finding acceptance with the monkey factor and keeping it in perspective.

If anyone is wondering, no, I can't explain the association of monkeys with Christmas either, but the store was selling them as related decorations for the holidays.

As to the concertina, I like this one so much that I've placed an order with Frank for an A/E too. After trying Tom Lawrence's A/E recently it seemed my only reasonable course of action since Tom didn't appear to be willing to give his up.

Bruce

Aw Henk,

You scamp, I missed this one.

But with the new forum set-up, if you miss a thread, it stays bold colored. In the old forum, once you logged on, everything showed as if you read it when you came on the next time.

Don't know if that made sense, but I understood it.

What do the little briefcases mean? I understand the envelopes.

And Henk, ...

Helen

I love the new avatar Bruce, in fact if you had a motto underneath it, you would have a fantastic Coat of Arms !

Oh Lord, that'd complete my descent into the muck from the old family's viewpoint. A Coat of Arms featuring monkeys and a concertina!

With the exception of one uncle, all the other 'senior' relatives already look at me funny and sadly shake their heads when I talk of concertina related matters. I think they're still trying to figure out whether it's the result of a bad upbringing or an unfortunate draw from the gene pool.

I like the Coat of Arms notion though, which no doubt suggests a reason why I don't spend much time visiting with the relatives.

Bruce