Wheatstone Model Numbers

Robin Harrison

Can any one tell me if there is a place to find out.I've tried the seach facility on this site,tried the old price lists on the Mccann site ( mainly duets)....no luck.

I've got a 1912 Hex,metal ended(domed) Wheatstone ,Model No 24 and I want to know what it means.

Thanks Robin

Price lists for Wheatstone English Concertinas from

Chris Algar's archives are available at The Maccann Duet

Concertina site:

English Concertina Price Lists

(At www.maccann-duet.com, you can type [english price lists] into

the search box on the home page to locate these documents.)

The closest date to your 1912 instrument is a price list circa 1915.

For a model 24, it says:

"22. Best nickel-plated Raised Ends, spherical end silver keys and

finger plates to match, best steel vibrators, solid morocco leather

five-fold bellows, keys and tops bushed throughout, new improved

action, giving short touch and rapid articulation. Powerful tone."

"24. Same materials and finish as No. 22, but with fifty-six keys.

G to G. 21/0/0"

I've got a 1912 Hex,metal ended(domed) Wheatstone ,Model No 24 and I want to know what it means.

Basically, it means what you have. It's the deluxe non-Æola model.

I have some price lists, undated but I believe earlier than what Robert Gaskins quoted, and their descriptions are consistent with his.

For no. 22, mine that I believe is earliest says, "Nickel-plated raised ends, silver keys, steel reeds".

In my later one, no. 22 is described as, "Best nickel-plated raised ends, silver keys, best steel reeds, morocco bellows, powerful tone".

Does the entry for your instrument have any special notations? What's your serial number?

Number 25623 No special notations.

I was interested to know because although it needs a complete restoration including cleaning and tuning with new springs,pads ,valves etc and replacing all the molding around the ends, from the maybe 20 notes that do play, it has the most amazing tone.Its outstanding and I wondered how this English differed from the supposedly better Aeola.It certainly does have a powerful tone.

I had heard that there were non-octagonal Aeola's but can't remeber where I saw this.

Robin

I had heard that there were non-octagonal Aeola's but can't remeber where I saw this.

There were. They preceded the octagonal Æola and were really quite different. Search Concertina.net for "pinhole" and you should find some discussion and photos.

Got it...thanks.

Back to my other query;difference between an Aeola and my "deluxe non-Aeola"

I'm comparing it to my 48key treble Aeola (#31268-1926) and there is no obvious difference in quality...I'm wondering if it's the reeds although that is not supported by the sound ; would the octo versus hex shape be a factor?