The New Harmony Music Festival And School

Miriam

The New Harmony Music Festival and School in New Harmony blends trad, improv, and classical music in a week of classes, sessions and concerts in July. It's not for any specific instrument but I took classes there last summer with Patrick Ourceau (who just started learning the concertina!) and others and it was great. www.newharmonymusicfest.com

• 3 weeks later...

The web page lists the founder and director as Chris Layer. His father, fiddler Edwin Layer, is a good friend. I once had Chris on the radio show I did for years at Purdue University (c'netter Frank Dudgeon founded that show) and Chris flawlessly played some of his bellow pipes, finicky reeds and all, live on the air, cool as anything. He was in Lafayette IN (his hometown) then for a concert with the Quebec group Norouet. I once saw Chris do the entire Brendan's Voyage (a concerto for uilleann pipes) with orchestra, it was over half an hour of playing from memory.

Ed Delaney proposes a squeezer's festival in Indy, and now this - it seems I left the state of Indiana a dozen years too soon! I could always move back.

Ken

The web page lists the founder and director as Chris Layer. His father, fiddler Edwin Layer, is a good friend. I once had Chris on the radio show I did for years at Purdue University (c'netter Frank Dudgeon founded that show) and Chris flawlessly played some of his bellow pipes, finicky reeds and all, live on the air, cool as anything. He was in Lafayette IN (his hometown) then for a concert with the Quebec group Norouet. I once saw Chris do the entire Brendan's Voyage (a concerto for uilleann pipes) with orchestra, it was over half an hour of playing from memory.

Ed Delaney proposes a squeezer's festival in Indy, and now this - it seems I left the state of Indiana a dozen years too soon! I could always move back.

Ken

Just listened back to the CD Ken kindly sent me of the 10th anniversary show of Acoustic Blend - the public radio folk program that Ken did for a long time at Purdue. Ken included that performance by Chris Layer on the Scottish Smallpipes. Great stuff! Ken did a wonderful job on that show, and they just celebrated their 20th anniversary. Pretty cool. The squeezer's festival in Indianapolis looks intriguing. I'll keep my eyes open for that.