Thank you! I hope I will be as passionate about playing concertina as I am about harp. I didn't begin harp until I was almost 30, and had to learn to read music. It was my determination and passion for the instrument that enabled me to play and to keep going. I consider myself a young senior citizen now, and as long as my brain and hands are functioning, I will continue to play!

Hi, Turloughsgirl,

That's the spirit!

I've learned several new instruments over the decades (I'm also a "young senior", still in my 60s) and my experience has been that each instrument that you learn makes the next one easier to learn. I reckon that's because you have already got inside the structure of music in general, and you only have the specifics of the new instrument to deal with.

BTW, I don't play your combination of Celtic harp and Anglo, but I do play chromatic and diatonic autoharps as well as Anglo and duet concertinas. And in autoharp parlance, the Anglo concertina and the Celtic harp are both "diatonic", so there should be some transfer of skill in it for you (e.g. you'll know when to go in search of accidentals!)

And as a second BTW, prompted by your forum name, I enjoy playing Turlough O'Carolan's harp pieces. On the autoharp, they're sort of obligatory, but they also go surprisingly well on classic 5-string banjo, and I've played the melody lines of a couple of them on the Anglo in a group setting (with fiddle, guitar and double bass - quite Baroque!)

Cheers,

John

John,

Thank you so much for the encouraging words! So you are on to me; yes my forum name after Ireland's greatest composer and harpist; (in my opinion of course). He traveled Ireland for 50 years from one end to the other composing his music and performing his tunes. What an exciting life to live; wish I could quit my job and travel in his footsteps!

So you have played some of his tunes on the Anglo- that is great! I hope to learn some of them myself, after I graduate from learning "Twinkle, twinkle," or whatever they teach you first on the concertina. I remember playing that first on celtic harp, and then when I was able to play "Greensleeves," I thought I was a real pro.

Love this website. I am meeting people from all over the world!

Blessing to All!