"new Content" Not Updating

I frequently check the Forums by using the "View New Content" option. The last few days I've been surprised at how quiet things have been. But...

I've now discovered that the Forums actually haven't been so quiet, but my New Content has. Since some time on Jan. 7, none of the newly created threads have appeared in my New Content, though I find that there are many under their individual subForums. And new postings in various threads which were started before that date are also not showing in my New Content, with three exceptions:

• A "special" Crane Aeola
  • Detune Or Leave Alone?
  • Concertina Earrings

I can't guess why those three have updated -- each more than once -- in that period, while others have not updated at all. But it seems that I can no longer depend on the View New Content option.

I would ask whether anyone else has experienced this problem, but anyone who relies on the View New Content feature and is similarly affected is unlikely to see this post. :(

Now I'd better run through each individual subForum to see what I've missed. B)

That's strange, Jim. I go by New Contents as well, and I haven't experienced any of the problems. Could it be that your machine has troubles with Cookies (eg the c.net cookie placed in it has somehow "frozen in time," eg been set to read only)?

...it seems that I can no longer depend on the View New Content option.

Interesting!

This new Topic has just appeared at the top of my New Content. But the updates and new Topics that were missing before are still missing. :huh:

That's strange, Jim. I go by New Contents as well, and I haven't experienced any of the problems. Could it be that your machine has troubles with Cookies (eg the c.net cookie placed in it has somehow "frozen in time," eg been set to read only)?

But it's only the View New Content that's behaving this way, not the individual Forums nor even the main screen that lists all the Forums. I normally ignore that and go straight to New Content, but I can see that right now it's giving the proper listing of the most recent post in each Forum, including at least one after your post that I'm replying to.

Does that sound like a cookie problem? Would there be multiple cookies for the Forums? If so, does it make sense that one should "freeze" while others don't? But even if that's reasonable, my New Content did update by adding the new Topic I created, yet it didn't update anything else, not even to show the new post after your own. :huh:

I don't normally sign out of the Forums. With the "Remember Me" option, even if I shut down my machine I'm automatically signed in. But I've now forcibly signed out, shut down concertina.net, re-opened the Forums in a fresh browser window, signed in, and... the problem is the same.

Really obnoxious... have you tried deleting the cookies? From my limited knowledge of browser technology, I can't really see how this could be related to anything but cookies (unless the Web server randomly treats some user cookies differently from other users', that is...)

Really obnoxious... have you tried deleting the cookies? From my limited knowledge of browser technology, I can't really see how this could be related to anything but cookies (unless the Web server randomly treats some user cookies differently from other users', that is...)

I'm posting this in a different browser, which I normally use only for a couple of other web sites. The Forums didn't recognize me, and I had to sign in. Before I signed in, I tried View New Content, and it showed me everything, which of course it should. After I signed in, View New Content showed the same incomplete listing as I've already reported, except that it now included your new reply.

And now I've done the same with a third browser, with the same result. (I'm still posting this from the second browser.)

Do the different browsers all share the same set of cookies? :unsure:

To my best knowledge, no, they don't. The final test would be to try from a different machine. If the problem still shows, I believe it must be on the server end of things (something got messed up with your profile), so you should then contact the forum admins... best of luck!!

To my best knowledge, no, they don't. The final test would be to try from a different machine.

Thanks for the suggestion. As luck would have it, I have an old machine (with an old OS) here. In fact, I'm using it to send this reply. It's been 10 months or more since it was last connected to concertina.net. And I see exactly the same problem here. :(

If the problem still shows, I believe it must be on the server end of things (something got messed up with your profile), so you should then contact the forum admins... best of luck!!

Thanks. I actually emailed Paul and Ken when I started this Topic, just in case they too might be affected by the same problem and thus not notice my post(s). And since so far you're the only one who has responded, I still wonder whether others -- though not all others -- might be similarly affected. I guess time will tell. B)

Could be anything to do with the options you have checked?

I always use the new since last visit setting

Thanks, John. I happen to have found the problem+solution just before reading your post, but you're absolutely right.

What led me astray is that I didn't look at the options (at that part of the page), because I don't recall ever having changed them. But there was a check mark next to "Items I participated in", something that I have never consciously selected. That apparently restricts the display to only those threads in which I've posted. What I'm used to is seeing all threads which have had a post within the last month, whether or not I've read them recently.

There is one remaining puzzle, though. Why was it showing a number of threads without updating them to reflect recent posts?