Dropped My Edeophone :-(

Help, help!

As an early Christmas present I managed to do the rolling off onto a hard floor fro my Edeophone, leaving some fretwork cracks in the ends.

I buried the problem over Christmas, but have now taken off end with the most visible damage and have looked properly at the damage. A piece of the fretwork has broken free plus a couple of bits of veneer and a section of side piece. I have all the bits fitted neatly together, a jigsaw in need of some glue? - nothing missing.

I'm looking for recommendations for a repairer since it's beyond my skills and DH refuses to mess with it.

Now I can see the inside, repairs have obviously been made before.

I haven't removed the other end yet, but can see a few more hairline cracks there which may mean more of the same when I dismantle it.

A couple of pictures (flickr).... the tape is holding the broken pieces in place.

I'm hoping for someone not too far away! (Cheshire UK)

16208491855_56ec630d93_s.jpgand 15588643093_bbe2ca7a02_s.jpg

Chris :(

I'm in Beverley, East Yorks.

A fellow concertina player had some work done recently on his Jefferies EC. I'll be seeing him tomorrow night - if he attends the easy session - and I'll ask him where he sent it.

Jake

Roy Whiteley (trading as Accordion Magic) is in Cheshire, just in the M6 / M56 crossover area, and I'm sure he'd be willing and able to have a look at repairing it.

Rw@Rdcontrols.Fsnet.co.uk, 07519 064196 . He replaced a spring for me a few months ago and i'd certainly use his services again.

Thanks Steve, I'll get in contact with Roy ASAP.

(ps the Knutsford session has moved to a different pub and day. Not sure if you're on the mailing list for that still)

Theo, thanks as well, you're backup!

ChrisJ

Hi Chris (sorry, didn't clock that the OP was you - reading CNET far too early in the morning)

Yes, I am still on the mailing list for the Knutsford session; now it's moved day I really must try and get along!

I'm taking Ede to Roy tomorrow, thanks for the info, for some reason I thought he was up Stockport way.

Chris

Andrew norman is is Shrewsbury if that suits the geography.

A.C. Norman & Co.               Maker and repairer. Has been making 30-button and (unusually for accordion-reeded"Paddock", Rowton               concertinas) 36-button C/G and G/D anglos since 1980 using hand-tuned Italian reeds.Halfway House                   E-mail 

andrew_acnorman_co_uk.gif http://www.acnorman.co.uk Phone 01743 884583

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

My Ede is now resident with Roy Whitley - a surprising mere 6 miles down the road (plus a mile or so down a track unknown to SatNav!)

Chris

ps a had a look at an anglo in construction (but he doesn't make English) , and some nice work on the rosewood ends of a jeffries.

• 2 weeks later...

...oh man, Spindizzy, the pictures make my stomach hurt. I was just looking at my battered ol' concertina last week and wondered how it is that I have not managed to drop the most delicate loved thing in my life .... yet. Its sort of groaning and squeaking as is; I guess it needs to visit Greg Jowaisas for a vacation in his moist environs and nimble fingers. Its like sending a kid to summer (winter??) camp. Good luck in repairs.

Shelly - you didn't want to hear the words that I said when it hit the floor! - and why did it have to happen when we were in a pub with a hard wood floor - all the other pubs that I session in have carpets! I haven't got it back yet and am puffing away on my old backup student lach. for now and whining a lot at life the universe etc. (and checking my bank balance, and wondering about metal ended concertinas)

Shelly - you didn't want to hear the words that I said when it hit the floor! - and why did it have to happen when we were in a pub with a hard wood floor - all the other pubs that I session in have carpets! I haven't got it back yet and am puffing away on my old backup student lach. for now and whining a lot at life the universe etc. (and checking my bank balance, and wondering about metal ended concertinas)

You might then wonder about six-sided ones too... :)

But I guess you won't let it happen again to your Edeo anyways!

Best wishes - Wolf

...........and wondering about metal ended concertinas.

Chris, all my concertinas (English) are metal-ended, including my Edeophone. I decided to choose metal ends, partly because I hope they are less prone to getting damaged, either accidently, as in your case, and because wooden fretwork ends can be prone to cracking or delaminating due to age or poor storage, and partly because I prefer the slightly brighter tone that metal ends produce. It is heartbreaking when something like this happens to a cherished instrument. I am sure Roy will make a first-class job of repairing it and you will never know the difference.

Chris