2015 Usa Workshops?

StuJanis

I'm hoping to expand my Anglo concertina skills at a workshop this year and am wondering what options are out there. I was hoping for Palestine, TX, but it sounds as though they're not having an organized concertina event this year. (The past organizer has a conflict and hasn't found someone else to organize.)

My online search found Catskills Irish Arts Week, Noel Hill Irish Concertina School, Lark Camp, and the Northeast Squeeze-in. Any recommendations? Anything that didn't turn up in my search?

I'm hoping to expand my Anglo concertina skills at a workshop this year and am wondering what options are out there. I was hoping for Palestine, TX, but it sounds as though they're not having an organized concertina event this year. (The past organizer has a conflict and hasn't found someone else to organize.)

My online search found Catskills Irish Arts Week, Noel Hill Irish Concertina School, Lark Camp, and the Northeast Squeeze-in. Any recommendations? Anything that didn't turn up in my search?

Hi Hudson, WI (I lived in Madison for many years) - depends on what you want. If it's Irish, you can't do better than Noel Hill's school. But it's very intense.

The Northeast Squeeze In is the perfect place to play a wide variety of styles. The 'workshops' are highly informal and more or less spontaneous; the advantage here is variety and a chance to play with people of widely varying interests and experience.

At the risk of being accused of double-posting, I'll repeat what I just put over on the announcements section:

Randal Bays has announced the Cascadia Irish Arts Week details for 2015. Scheduled for the week of July 19th through the 25th, it will held be in a new location (Olympia, Washington) this year. My understanding is that the accommodations and setting will be quite nice.

Classes include a variety of instruments including Anglo Concertina. Of special interest to this forum, instruction this year will be by Caitlín Nic Gabhann - three time All Ireland winner on concertina.

This has been a very popular event in past years and I expect it will be well attended this year too. This is really a week-long Irish music immersion experience with lots of sessions every evening and typically includes a concert by the staff at the end of the event.

For more information refer to the link below:

http://www.cascadiairish.org

Thanks for the input so far.

Jim - I got my MS degree at UW Madison way back in 1981 so I have fond memories of the capital city. (Hudson is a suburb of St. Paul, MN.)

Ken - A resurrection of the Summer School list would be fantastic!

Thanks for the input so far.

Jim - I got my MS degree at UW Madison way back in 1981 so I have fond memories of the capital city. (Hudson is a suburb of St. Paul, MN.)

Ken - A resurrection of the Summer School list would be fantastic!

"Way back in 1981?" I was way back in 1970. I've been thru Hudson many times (my brother lived in the cities)

Keep your eyes open for the NorthEast Concertina Workshop that the Button Box has traditionally run on a Saturday in April in the Amherst/Sunderland/Greenfield Massachusetts area. They didn't do one in 2014, but no word yet on plans for 2015.

Edited for typo.

Edited by David Barnert

If you are interested in learning Irish music, the Noel Hill Midwest class is moving to a location just a short hop from St Louis. The week is Aug 2 to Aug 7. Noel is an excellent teacher. I have been doing his class each summer since 1996 so you could say that I have drunk the KoolAid!

Ross Schlabach

If you are interested in learning Irish music, the Noel Hill Midwest class is moving to a location just a short hop from St Louis. The week is Aug 2 to Aug 7. Noel is an excellent teacher. I have been doing his class each summer since 1996 so you could say that I have drunk the KoolAid!

Don't you mean The Pure Drop? :)

Don't you mean The Pure Drop? :)

Nah, I expect he is 'sucking diesel' by now.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi StuJanis,

Just learned that the Palestine, TX gathering will be having a concertina group, taught by Jody Kruskal. I too have been looking for a

summer course (anglo, thus Irish) and Jody teaches old-time/american tunes as far as I know. For more info, email Dan Worrall

danworrall@msn.com

You should check out Swanannoa Gathering Celtic Week in July 2015. Grainne Hambly teaches concertina there.

Kay

PS Ken - Looking forward to the summer school list!

Edited by kay