Odd Number Of Sides

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This isnt an instrument with an odd number of sides but it is an oddity: http://www.concertina.info/tina.faq/images/haydp.htm

its a 10 sided concertina made by the Dippers

Jake, you've somehow managed to get a "space" character appended to the end of the URL in your link, which makes it impossible to load, even though it "looks" right.

This one should work, though: http://www.concertina.info/tina.faq/images/haydp.htm

Beautiful instrument!

But then, I've never seen a Dipper that wasn't beautiful. :)

Just idly pondering... Has anyone ever made a concertina with a number of sides other than 4, 6, 8 or 12? I don't suppose a triangular instrument would be much use (!), but I wonder if there might be any advantage to, e.g. a nonagonal instrument.

I believe both the 7- and 10-sided concertinas have been mentioned before in these Forums. And we mustn't forget the few (one batch?) round ones from Lachenal.

If we include German-made concertinas, though, there seem to be few restrictions. I'm pretty sure I've seen both 5- and 9-sided examples on eBay, as well as a number with ends that weren't simple polygons. B)

Note: As has been discussed in the past, the more sides the ends have (the closer to round), the easier it will be for it to roll off of a table, etc. and smash into the floor or whatever else is below. :ph34r:

Edited by JimLucas

Colin Dipper and Robin Scard have made several instruments with 10 sides including at least 3 Hayden Duets that I have seen.

Inventor.

As I like to turn my octagonal Hayden one 'flat' forward of horizontal, which, for me, helps with fingering of the upper rows by my little fingers, I am sure I would enjoy a 10 sided model, perhaps even more, as having the hand rails at 45° to vertical is a wee bit too much angle.

Anyone wishing to sell one of these Dipper( or Scard) Haydens can feel free to contact me :rolleyes: :wub: .

Edited by Geoff Wooff

A NONAGONAL shape always seemed to make sense to me. With 360 degrees 8 sides does not result in a whole number. But nine would. Nine sided shapes have always fascinated me, but they are rarely to be found even in the normal world. Only two that I can recall finding. One in a urinal drain and the other in a chandelier at university I must stop, or you will think that I am as odd as a nine sided concertina. The shape just doesn't seem to look comfortable, somehow. Let me know if you ever find any.

Les

This isnt an instrument with an odd number of sides but it is an oddity: http://www.concertina.info/tina.faq/images/haydp.htm

its a 10 sided concertina made by the Dippers

Jake, you've somehow managed to get a "space" character appended to the end of the URL in your link, which makes it impossible to load, even though it "looks" right.

This one should work, though: http://www.concertina.info/tina.faq/images/haydp.htm

Beautiful instrument!

But then, I've never seen a Dipper that wasn't beautiful. :)

Indeed, Dipper's instruments are inspirational. :)

A NONAGONAL shape always seemed to make sense to me. With 360 degrees 8 sides does not result in a whole number. But nine would. Nine sided shapes have always fascinated me, but they are rarely to be found even in the normal world. Only two that I can recall finding. One in a urinal drain and the other in a chandelier at university I must stop, or you will think that I am as odd as a nine sided concertina. The shape just doesn't seem to look comfortable, somehow. Let me know if you ever find any.

Les

It's a strangely satisfying shape to me, perhaps because it has three threes of sides.

Except that 360 degrees divided over eight sides, does yield a whole number, 45 degrees.

Yes, 360 degrees divided over nine sides yields 40 degrees, which is great when looked at digitally, but difficult to construct geometrically because it is messy in radians.

That 45 degrees is a very neat Pi/4 radians, but 40 degrees is a tricky 2Pi/9 radians. What that means in practical carpentry terms is you have to divide a circle into thirds, and then divide into thirds again, which gets a bit messy. but 45 degrees is easy to do by simply dividing in half twice, and the 60 degrees of a hexagon is also easy to do, as the sides are the same length at the radius of the circle.

So a Nonagon is a pain to build, although I expect such an instrument would look very nice once completed by a skilled craftsman.

Personally, I'm intrigued with seven sides, but that would be even harder to create geometrically, and is a mess digitally as well. It would be a step farther from the danger of rolling away than nine sides of course, but then again the good old hexagon has both of them beat on that score.

Edited by Tradewinds Ted

Except that 360 degrees divided over eight sides, does yield a whole number, 45 degrees.

Yes, 360 degrees divided over nine sides yields 40 degrees, which is great when looked at digitally, but difficult to construct geometrically because it is messy in radians.

That 45 degrees is a very neat Pi/4 radians, but 40 degrees is a tricky 2Pi/9 radians. What that means in practical carpentry terms is you have to divide a circle into thirds, and then divide into thirds again, which gets a bit messy. but 45 degrees is easy to do by simply dividing in half twice, and the 60 degrees of a hexagon is also easy to do, as the sides are the same length at the radius of the circle.

So a Nonagon is a pain to build, although I expect such an instrument would look very nice once completed by a skilled craftsman.

This would have been true when the vintage instruments were designed, but I don't think it's a big deal with CAD, CNC and a vernier protractor.