From Baroque To Renaissance

Frank and Alex, thank you very much for listening and commenting, glad you like it!

These are two pieces originally set for five part singing AFAIK, the first having been written by one Giovanni Giacomi Gastoldi, whom I'm aware of just because of this song. In Germany it's sort of popular under the title "An Hellen Tagen", i.e. On Bright Days...

The second tune is by the much better known Hans Leo Hassler, who had been quite influential in the process of transforming the renaissance into the baroque style I guess. The title says Dancing And Leaping.

I always felt that these pieces have a certain renaissance feel with them, but (especially the Hassler tune) are being set in the functional harmonics of later ages, in particular prominently employing the secondary dominant (i.e. D7 in the key of Cmaj), which I then tried to avoid, at some points even replacing it with a Bb (resp., in the key of Gmaj, F) chord in order to create more of that renaissance (modal) ambiguity...

Best wishes - Wolf

If I knew the dances, I'd be dancing!

Thanks a lot Mike! It's once again encouraging to have this reply from the dedicated and experienced dancer you are...

Happy New Year - Wolf

(edited to remove embarrassing typo)

Edited by blue eyed sailor

• 2 weeks later...