Detune Or Leave Alone?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But now I'm waiting for you to get around to, "Gee, that F is so nice, I bet the E right below it would open up even more great possibilities." ;)

Bah! I've run out of buttons..... :(

No you haven't. There are other duplicates from which you could steal one of the two. Why not steal the next higher G#? Your low F is already out of pattern, so why not go even more out of pattern? (That's a somewhat rhetorical question, as I myself can think of good reasons why not.)

I might suggest simply adding a couple more buttons, but I suspect there's no extra room in the action or reed pan for the additional levers and reeds. Then again, you've made complete new ends. How much harder to do complete new reed pans and action?

By the way, back in the '70s I did hear of an English concertina with a lowest note of E below middle C, and incidentally with gold-plated ends. I never found out either what happened to it or its history. A special order for sure, but I've always wondered if its original owner intended it for playing classical guitar pieces.

But now I'm waiting for you to get around to, "Gee, that F is so nice, I bet the E right below it would open up even more great possibilities." ;)

Bah! I've run out of buttons..... :(

No you haven't. There are other duplicates from which you could steal one of the two. Why not steal the next higher G#? Your low F is already out of pattern, so why not go even more out of pattern? (That's a somewhat rhetorical question, as I myself can think of good reasons why not.)

I might suggest simply adding a couple more buttons, but I suspect there's no extra room in the action or reed pan for the additional levers and reeds. Then again, you've made complete new ends. How much harder to do complete new reed pans and action?

Mmm, good idea ^_^

By the way, back in the '70s I did hear of an English concertina with a lowest note of E below middle C, and incidentally with gold-plated ends. I never found out either what happened to it or its history. A special order for sure, but I've always wondered if its original owner intended it for playing classical guitar pieces.

I have such a beast. It's a 56key Jones with metal ends, lowest note is E below middle C.

Currently in need of restoration.

Edited by SteveS

I have just about got into playing order a single action baritone.extended down to a 'C' Bass, much as a tenor treble is extended down.

Mine, Mine, Mine, Mine, Mine, Mine, Mine ...............

Sorry but one does get a bit carried away about these things.

I have just about got into playing order a single action baritone.extended down to a 'C' Bass, much as a tenor treble is extended down.

No need for apologizing, I can just repeat myself, as I can easily understand that (too).. :)

Mmm, good idea ^_^

But if you go down to the E, you're already half way to a tenor-treble, so why stop there? However, if you really don't want to have C-through-Eb available, it might still be easier to get a tenor-treble and just remove the lowest few buttons, levers, and reeds B)

I have such a beast. It's a 56key Jones with metal ends, lowest note is E below middle C.

Hmm. I'm surprised I didn't think of this before: Is it a standard treble extended down, or is it a transposing instrument? A treble layout transposing down to the key of A would have that E as it's lowest note, but in the usual low-G position.

A Swedish friend of mine has one of those -- a bass-baritone, -- but his is a double-action, 8-sided Crabb. :)

Edited by JimLucas

But if you go down to the E, you're already half way to a tenor-treble, so why stop there? However, if you really don't want to have C-through-Eb available, it might still be easier to get a tenor-treble and just remove the lowest few buttons, levers, and reeds B)

Jim, I guess you'll believe me when I'm telling you that this move had been expected... :D

Mmm, good idea ^_^

Hmm. I'm surprised I didn't think of this before: Is it a standard treble extended down, or is it a transposing instrument? A treble layout transposing down to the key of A would have that E as it's lowest note, but in the usual low-G position.

Going down to the E below middle C it is half way to a T/T, extending down from a regular treble. At least I believe it's a middle C.

The E is in the same position as an E on a T/T.

As to whether it could be transposing to a key other than C, I've never figured out the button/note assignments having assumed it was in C (the 'tina isn't in playable condition).

Edited by SteveS

Having the F seated at the place of the Ab is sort of an irregularity, but still allows playing the open fifth with ornamentation around the C one octave above. I can't think of any other replacement falling that easily under the fingers...

Oh, I agree, though as with just about any change, "You win a few; you lose a few."

(But let's not forget Charlie Brown's wistful, "Gee, that'd be nice." ;))

Both of my trebles have the low Ab weighted down to low F. I've had good results using cyanoacrylate glue to fasten small tabs of brass or steel to weight the tips. I overweight the tips and then file the weights down to pitch. The cyanoacrylate can be dissolved with acetone if the weights need to be removed.

A Swedish friend of mine has one of those -- a bass-baritone, -- but his is a double-action, 8-sided Crabb. :)

This is a Wheatstone with an extra Bb chucked in on the LH side, a one time Mexborough concertina Band instrument.

Very fast and very noisy

D

• 2 weeks later...