Anglo Harmoney/base Runs

Kelteglow

I don't know if there is an answer to this subject but here goes.- I play tunes most in my home keys of C & G and I am trying to learn using left hand little finger to add to the accompanyment .On the standard 30 key do any of you have any progression of base runs that you often use to break a tune or add to it? Thanks Bob

I would suggest that you include your ring finger with your little finger to do the base runs.Dedicate certain buttons (base notes) that you use these fingers for and practice base scales using those fingers .Gradually it becomes easier to include the base runs in your playing.

Al

A simple CBAG run (up or down the scale) is easy enough and apart from the C you have the notes in both directions. I agree with Al to use more than just the little finger.

You'll probably find you need to play the melody across the rows to get the bellows direction right and avoid changes which would break up the run.

Bob, I would also highly recommend listening to recordings of folks like John Watcham and Bertram Levy and Jody Kruskal, as well as some of the tunes by John Kirkpatrick. These guys really know how to drive a tune with active bass lines!

Gary

Edited by gcoover

Bob, I would also highly recommend listening to recordings of folks like John Watcham and Bertram Levy and Jody Kruskal, as well as some of the tunes by John Kirkpatrick. These guys really know how to drive a tune with active bass lines!

Adrian Brown should be recommended as well...

Still not sure what you mean by ' bass runs ' . I frequently touch left hand chords intermittently as alternatives to a right hand melody note in order to add harmony, colour and character to a tune. These instinctive embellishments can be conventional two, three or four note chords, or in some cases what might be called split chords or arpeggio-like chords. All depends upon the style of the melody. Difficult to put into words.

Still not sure what you mean by ' bass runs ' . I frequently touch left hand chords intermittently as alternatives to a right hand melody note in order to add harmony, colour and character to a tune. These instinctive embellishments can be conventional two, three or four note chords, or in some cases what might be called split chords or arpeggio-like chords. All depends upon the style of the melody. Difficult to put into words.

I guess I understand what you're saying - bass-runs would consist of every lowest note of these intervals or chords (each in its inversion as chosen) then, possibly completed by interposed single bass notes... Thereby you would be able to create lines (or leaps) ad lib.

Hope that helps...

Apropos nothing at all:

I met the drummer from a heavy rock band in Coventry many moons ago. He reackoned that

the man who invented the bass run was none other than good old Johann Sebastian...

We were both very drunk though...

Roger.

With all due modesty, Gary Coover did not mention that he has made considerable efforts to annotate the playing style of the instrumentalists he mentions. The written results can be found here:

www.amazon.co.uk/Anglo-Concertina-Harmonic-Style-Coover/dp/0615747353 - there are other book sellers!

Or if you prefer to look and listen try:

www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDAFAr6LGkx39G50Zl2L3OssL2o9T_kBn

Chas

Thanks yes I have the book its brilliant ! I also have other tutors .As well as learning what others play and their style I am also trying improve the songs/tunes I already play . I do agree that I need to spend some more of my time listening to the players Gary mensioned in his reply. I was very lucky to have seen Jody Kruskal when he played in Penzance recently, and it made me realise how much more I have to learn. Bob

Edited by KelTekgolow