Best Jeffries

Crabb97

I'm thinking of purchasing a Jeffries but I want to know more about the different periods of Jeffries concertinas and their makers.

Is there a maker or period that is considered the best?

How many different periods of Jeffries are there?

Do the concertinas from different periods differ in price?

Any other information on Jeffries concertinas is also welcome.

Thanks folks!!!

There are different periods; the one indicated by the words C Jeffries Maker stamped between the buttons is generally accepted as the best. However matters are considerably more complicated than that! A great Jeffries is a wonderful thing but not all, in fact maybe only what, 25%, 30%? (anyone have an opinion on this percentage?) from that period are truly great. And they have all had 100 plus years of history to survive. The best policy is not to buy a Jeffries unseen and if you do not have the ability to judge whether it is a great instrument and the condition it is in find someone qualified and independent to evaluate it for you. If this cannot be done for a particular instrument better to give it a miss.

Chris Algar of Barlycorn Concertinas usually has quite a number of restored Jeffries-anglos in stock. At his place you can try them all out and hear and feel the differences - and find out about prices.

But don't expect to find a good restored C/G Jeffries for less than 4.000 Pound anywhere...

You don't say where you live - but it may be worth the trip!

I wanted a special ME Aeola TT - so I drove 1000 miles from Germany to Chris and found just the right one out of a whole pile of TTs...

Edited by conzertino

" I'm thinking of purchasing a Jeffries but I want to know more about the different periods of Jeffries concertinas and their makers.

Is there a maker or period that is considered the best?"

I don't think it's possible to answer this in a truly objective manner. I'm quite sure that my concertinas would not suit everyone and that another player's favorite Jeffries would not necessarily suit me. Of course you can ask advice from another player, but choosing instruments is such a personal process - at the end of the day it's what it feels like to you that's important, not what name it has on the outside.

Adrian

Edited by aybee

If I was looking for a top of the range Anglo certainly a Jeffries would be my first choice but I would not rule out a Wheatstone Linota there are a few I have played out there that are equally as good. One I repaired and tuned many years ago was better.

Al

H&A,

Some additional information may be helpful. We may be able to recommend a dealer or particular seller if we have an idea of where in the world you live. Knowing what kind of music you play and how long you've been playing as well as what has made you consider purchasing a Jeffries could also influence recommendations.

Particular Jeffries instruments can be wonderful, but that "wonderful" depends on what the player is looking for. Each Jeffries is different whether by original design, accident or what has happened to it 100 years since its birth. So while many of us associate "loud", "bubbly", "quick", "responsive" with the Jeffries name, those qualities can vary quite a bit from instrument to instrument.

Some folks live and die for the Jeffries sound. Others can find it harsh and abrasive. Some think they are on the heavy side. Others like the solid playing platform they can provide.

Personally I like the Jeffries senior's instruments made between 1890 and 1900 prior to Praed St. in the cartouche. But I've heard and played some exceptional Jeffries Bros. anglos including a 44b Bb that was to die for. (Key can also make a difference particularly in price. C/G is all the session rage, but if you want a Jeffries to play at home or with a sympathetic group who will tune to you then Bb/F is perhaps the perfect range for a concertina and won't be as expensive as a C/G. And Ab can have a warm lovely tone as well)

So as many of us keep saying it would be to your advantage to personally play and pick a particular instrument and if at all possible to have played a number of Jeffries so you have an idea of the qualities you particular like and desire.

Crabb also built (Geoff Crabb still does!) a fine instrument. Some look identical to the 1890s Jeffries and share some Jeffries characteristics. Once again, it may depend on the individual instrument to get what you want.

Best of luck in your concertina quest!

Greg

Don't rule out a Crabb. The early ones especially are very similar to early Jeffries which were made in the Crabb workshop.

Hi Theo,

Are you saying don't rule out a Crabb as in that they are of equal standard to Jeffries?

I would not use the description "equal standard" because, as others have pointed out, there is a great deal of variability and different qualities appeal to different people. But to answer your question with a qualified yes - some Crabb concertinas have similar playing qualities to some Jeffries. You really do need to consider each individual concertina on its own merits, there is great variation between them - even models that look identical can have different playing qualities.

On 11/26/2014 at 1:29 PM, Greg Jowaisas said:

H&A,

Some additional information may be helpful. We may be able to recommend a dealer or particular seller if we have an idea of where in the world you live. Knowing what kind of music you play and how long you've been playing as well as what has made you consider purchasing a Jeffries could also influence recommendations.

Particular Jeffries instruments can be wonderful, but that "wonderful" depends on what the player is looking for. Each Jeffries is different whether by original design, accident or what has happened to it 100 years since its birth. So while many of us associate "loud", "bubbly", "quick", "responsive" with the Jeffries name, those qualities can vary quite a bit from instrument to instrument.

Some folks live and die for the Jeffries sound. Others can find it harsh and abrasive. Some think they are on the heavy side. Others like the solid playing platform they can provide.

Personally I like the Jeffries senior's instruments made between 1890 and 1900 prior to Praed St. in the cartouche. But I've heard and played some exceptional Jeffries Bros. anglos including a 44b Bb that was to die for. (Key can also make a difference particularly in price. C/G is all the session rage, but if you want a Jeffries to play at home or with a sympathetic group who will tune to you then Bb/F is perhaps the perfect range for a concertina and won't be as expensive as a C/G. And Ab can have a warm lovely tone as well)

So as many of us keep saying it would be to your advantage to personally play and pick a particular instrument and if at all possible to have played a number of Jeffries so you have an idea of the qualities you particular like and desire.

Crabb also built (Geoff Crabb still does!) a fine instrument. Some look identical to the 1890s Jeffries and share some Jeffries characteristics. Once again, it may depend on the individual instrument to get what you want.

Greg

On 11/26/2014 at 1:29 PM, Greg Jowaisas said:

H&A,

Greg

I play a c/g Crabb myself…I just want a change and a better instrument. It's a 38 key so that's probably what I would be looking for in a Jeffries.

Edited by H&A

Well, then a C/G 38b Jeffries (or Crabb) that has better characteristics that you like than your present instrument :blink:. The trick will be to find one that you like, which will probably mean being able to play it before closing the deal.

Many reputable dealers will send an instrument on perusal meaning you have a period of time to try the concertina with a right of return for the purchase price. (Buyer normally pays shipping charges which are usually non-refundable) Some dealers may offer a trade-in on your Crabb toward the purchase of a concertina. Again, this is all easier done in person if at all possible.

Chris Algar who is Barleycorn Concertinas in Stoke-on-Trent near Liverpool England will have the largest selection of Jeffries and equivalent anglos. The Button Box in Massachusetts USA sometimes has Jeffries. I have a 28b and a 31b C/G on consignment and a 38b C/G on the way. Theo Gibb of The Box Place Newcastle upon Tyne England sometimes has Jeffries. Malcolm Clapp in Australia is a good contact.....

Hard to be specific unless we have an idea of whereabouts you live and who would be easiest to visit. Someone reading this post on cnet who lives relatively close to you may have a Jeffries they'd be willing to sell or at least let you try and compare to your Crabb..

Greg

Oh, and to follow up on Alan Day's suggestion, don't rule out a good Wheatstone Linota. I have a 40b that's available and quite nice. :rolleyes:

Edited by Greg Jowaisas

On 11/26/2014 at 3:31 PM, Greg Jowaisas said:

Well, then a C/G 38b Jeffries (or Crabb) that has better characteristics that you like than your present instrument :blink:. The trick will be to find one that you like, which will probably mean being able to play it before closing the deal.

Many reputable dealers will send an instrument on perusal meaning you have a period of time to try the concertina with a right of return for the purchase price. (Buyer normally pays shipping charges which are usually non-refundable) Some dealers may offer a trade-in on your Crabb toward the purchase of a concertina. Again, this is all easier done in person if at all possible.

Chris Algar who is Barleycorn Concertinas in Stoke-on-Trent near Liverpool England will have the largest selection of Jeffries and equivalent anglos. The Button Box in Massachusetts USA sometimes has Jeffries. I have a 28b and a 31b C/G on consignment and a 38b C/G on the way. Theo Gibb of The Box Place Newcastle upon Tyne England sometimes has Jeffries. Malcolm Clapp in Australia is a good contact.....

Hard to be specific unless we have an idea of whereabouts you live and who would be easiest to visit. Someone reading this post on cnet who lives relatively close to you may have a Jeffries they'd be willing to sell or at least let you try and compare to your Crabb..

Greg

Oh, and to follow up on Alan Day's suggestion, don't rule out a good Wheatstone Linota. I have a 40b that's available and quite nice. :rolleyes:

A trip to Manchester is quite possible for me. I just want to know in advance people's thoughts on the best Jeffries so when I'm there I know what to look out for.

Edited by H&A

H&A,

You will have the best possible on the spot choice if you visit Chris. It would not hurt to bring along another concertina playing friend. That way you can have a second opinion and get to hear what your next possible instrument sounds like not only as a player but also as a listener.

Chris will also have his own opinion if you ask....just be prepared for a possible lengthy reply! :lol: He's dealt with hundreds of Jeffries.

And, if you desire, you can ask about the possibility of a trade-in on your Crabb.

Greg

PS. If I were going I'd be interested in a bone button 31b made by Charles senior (stamped: C. Jeffries Maker, between the buttons) Something very special to me about the sound and feel of the bone button ones. However, bone button Jeffries with more than 31b are fairly uncommon, although with Chris' inventory you never know. If you go pass on my regards and have a great visit, and do let us know how you make out.