Delurking

Hello to all,

Having browsed this forum pretty much since it started, I've decided to stop procrastinating and sign on. So this is by way of belated introduction.

I've been playing music of one kind or another since the '60s, and Anglo concertina since around 1997. After a brief apprenticeship on a Stagi G/D, I lucked into a lovely old (c. 1890) Lachenal 40 button in C/G, and later added a 1953 Wheatstone, also with 40 buttons, which the Button Box did a great job of hot-rodding with a new riveted action. I still play both of these (you can hear them on my brand new YouTube channel). For a time I also owned one of the late Harold Herrington's wonderful concertinas, which I sold to a friend some years back.

On concertina I play mainly ITM, though I do play some other styles as well as some other instruments. I give lessons on several of these in the Philadelphia area, if anyone stateside is interested.

Anyway, having profited so long from the expertise and lore shared on this site, I figure it's time to step out of the shadows, if only to say thanks!

Bob Michel

Hello Bob and welcome on board!

That's the right way of delurking: stepping out of the shadows rather than completely disappearing (which had been my first understanding of the topic)... :D

Best wishes - Wolf

Edited by blue eyed sailor

Hello to all,

Having browsed this forum pretty much since it started, I've decided to stop procrastinating and sign on. So this is by way of belated introduction.

I've been playing music of one kind or another since the '60s, and Anglo concertina since around 1997. After a brief apprenticeship on a Stagi G/D, I lucked into a lovely old (c. 1890) Lachenal 40 button in C/G, and later added a 1953 Wheatstone, also with 40 buttons, which the Button Box did a great job of hot-rodding with a new riveted action. I still play both of these (you can hear them on my brand new YouTube channel). For a time I also owned one of the late Harold Herrington's wonderful concertinas, which I sold to a friend some years back.

On concertina I play mainly ITM, though I do play some other styles as well as some other instruments. I give lessons on several of these in the Philadelphia area, if anyone stateside is interested.

Anyway, having profited so long from the expertise and lore shared on this site, I figure it's time to step out of the shadows, if only to say thanks!

Bob Michel

Glad you de-lurked.

Since you're in the neighborhood, almost, consider coming to our next DC / Baltimore area squeeze in - Dec 14, 2-6 PM in the Washington DC metro area. PM me if you're interested.

Wolf--

You're right; I suppose one could delurk in either direction. Thanks for the welcome.

Steve--

He's a whippet, actually. Not a concertina enthusiast, exactly, but fairly resigned at this point (he's nearly 14).

Jim--

Thanks for the invitation. That's a pretty big "almost" in "almost in the neighborhood," but perhaps I'll make it at some future date. it's been many years since I hit any kind of music gathering in the Washington/Baltimore area.

Bob Michel

Edited by Bob Michel

Hello Bob

Is that a lurcher in your profile pic?

Our two lurchers will both happily listen to my Wheatstone EC treble or my wife's anglo, but don't seem so keen on my Morse Geordie baritone ...

Concertinas, flutes and sight-hounds must go together. That's three of us at least!

Welcome Michael.

I too have recently taken the step-up from lurking. Now, I've got a basset hound who pretty much ignores all my other instruments, but if I get out my Anglos, he's head back and howling. Whether in joyous union with the music or calling for help from the pack, I have yet to figure out, the latter I suspect.

Andy Sugden

Welcome Michael.

I too have recently taken the step-up from lurking. Now, I've got a basset hound who pretty much ignores all my other instruments, but if I get out my Anglos, he's head back and howling. Whether in joyous union with the music or calling for help from the pack, I have yet to figure out, the latter I suspect.

Andy Sugden

I have a great big, old samoyed dog who ignores the concertina, but howls when I play melodeon - but only when I play in minor keys!