Very Basic - Which One?

As a rank beginner who has seen and heard concertinas but has not had her fingers on one yet, and as a professional musician who reads notes well and can play other instruments, particularly keyboards and harp, I am wondering whether it would be easier for me to learn first on Anglo or English type concertina, and why. I have just ordered a cheap Anglo to get me started, while at the same time thinking that the English (same note on both push and pull) would be easier. What have you folks found?

Secondly, what book do you recommend for me? I will have to order any one since I am in a fairly remote, concertina-less area of northeastern Iceland; and ergo, no local players to watch and learn from.

Thanks!

Muff

Lots of opinions back and forth (some of them mine) have been posted previously. Have you tried using the search facility here?

...I am in a fairly remote, concertina-less area of northeastern Iceland...

How do you come to be in Iceland? Do you speak Icelandic? Which village do you live in?

I started with an Anglo Concertina, but I made the mistake of buying a bad one on eBay. It never worked, and I gave it away to a thrift shop. A friend who plays the accordion had tried and failed to learn the Anglo, and shared with me stories of how he could not learn to anticipate which way he would need to move the bellows next, so I went looking for an English Concertina.

I am not sorry I bought it, it is a Jackie from the Concertina Connection, and I am very happy with it. But the reason for choosing it (fear of not learning to find the right button and the right bellows direction at the same time on an Anglo), seems overblown. I learned from a sticky reed on one key that I could get around the problem by only playing that note on the pull. Like playing an Anglo.

Someone who caught me practicing recently asked me if my concertina was chromatic, and I said yes. Chromatic Anglos exist, so if you felt the need later you could get one.

Although I own one, I cannot help you with Anglo tutors. The one I have is from 1905 and I bought it for the 250 tunes in the back.

Russell Hedges

"Aquarussell"

I started with an Anglo Concertina, but I made the mistake of buying a bad one on eBay. It never worked, and I gave it away to a thrift shop. A friend who plays the accordion had tried and failed to learn the Anglo, and shared with me stories of how he could not learn to anticipate which way he would need to move the bellows next, so I went looking for an English Concertina.

Russel, Quick question, does your Accordion playing friend happen to play a Piano or a Chromatic Button Accordion? I can't imagine someone playing a diatonic button box having trouble with bellows directions on a Concertina.

--

Bill

Muff,

First, WELCOME to Concertina.net! We are always happy to have new members and participants.

Give us some ideas about the type of music you are interested in playing on the instrument. After you have done that, I'm sure you will see the diversity of opinion of C-netters! I think that it will ultimately depend on how your mind is wired. It seems that most of us are drawn to our instruments because they make "intuitive" sense to us. I could grasp the Anglo right away, and still have difficulty trying to get my mind and fingers around on an English.

Since you have an Anglo coming, you will know soon enough whether you can be comfortable with it.

As for tutors for the Anglo, I highly recommend Alan Day's tutor. He is a member of C-net. Look him up in the Member's section and e-mail him. He will make it available to you. It gives you a wonderful start at playing melody with chords on the Anglo. I think it is one of the best of its kind! And the price is right!!!!!!

For strictly Irish styles, again on Anglo, Frank Edgley, a C-netter and advertiser has a wonderful tutor. This is a superior tutor for a beginner. Plus it has lots of wonderful tunes!

Well that's my 2 cents. Welcome Aboard

Oddly enough, I find myself sight-reading pretty well on anglo (all that scale practice) though I also play it by ear. I am playing English now primarily by ear; it just works for me. Which is all backwards from the reported common experience. I guess that tells you how useful my advice is!

Just have fun, whatever you do!

Hi Muff,

A warm welcome to you. I, too, am interested in how you ended up living in Iceland (or were you born there). Daniel's response on tutors is excellent. Both of them are very helpful.

Looking forward to hearing what type of music you like and how your tootling around on the anglo is progressing.

Again, glad to have you on the forum. :rolleyes: :) :D

Helen

Russel, Quick question, does your Accordion playing friend happen to play a Piano or a Chromatic Button Accordion? I can't imagine someone playing a diatonic button box having trouble with bellows directions on a Concertina.

--

Bill

Piano Accordion, not button.

He offered to sell me his old one, but I am glad I didn't buy it. The concertina is so much lighter, I take it to work and practice at lunch. I commute on a motorcycle. The accordion would be pretty close to impossible.

Also, my interest in Victorian dance music makes the concertina more correct, where the piano accordion wasn't invented until what, the 1890's? The concertina is correct for the late 1820's on.

So, Ms. Warden, what kind of northeastern Icelandic folk tunes are you interested in playing on your concertina?

Russell Hedges

"Aquarussell"

Piano Accordion, not button.

He offered to sell me his old one, but I am glad I didn't buy it.  The concertina is so much lighter, I take it to work and practice at lunch.  I commute on a motorcycle.  The accordion would be pretty close to impossible.

Yeah you have to be careful of "friends" trying to sell you their piano accordions :). I imagine a diatonic button accordion would work for you as well.. but yeah when space is at a premium the only free reed instrument that beats an Anglo or English Concertina is a harmonica.

Also, my interest in Victorian dance music makes the concertina more correct, where the piano accordion wasn't invented until what, the 1890's?  The concertina is correct for the late 1820's on.

Well for Victorian Music.. I assume you mean Middle or upper class music, your English Concertina is almost certainly the right choice in terms of correctness for the genre. There were Piano Accordions starting in the 1860s but I don't they made big inroads on the British Isles 'til much later.

--

Bill

Edited by bill_mchale

Oh gosh, Russell,

Now I can't get the picture of you roaring off on your motorcyle with a piano accordion strapped to your back out of my mind. No no I am not out of my mind. But to visualize you ... oh well.

Helen