What Is This Wheatstone?

Johansson1991

I own a lovely ME 20 key Lachenal with exactly the same layout as Geoffrey's 20 key layout.

I would suggest that the tort-mini starts at C and has the same layout, but missing the Bb on the rigt side.

Unfortunately we have no picure of the left side...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interestingly, the Ledger entry description (18 button) has an additional note added above, "extra button added Jan 3 1928". This would bring it in to line with OP description (19 buttons).

If, it is an English, the position of the buttons on the right is more similar to the 20 button example in the attached than the more usual 18 button.

attachicon.gifCrabb 18 and 20 button English.doc

Not knowing the core key, the top two notes (F# & G or equivalents) of the 20 button may not have have been provided originally. In the absence of a picture of the left end, it is not possible to identify where the later extra button was fitted.

Geoffrey

Hi guys, for your interest I will post another picture after work. I can see the imperfections where the extra key was fitted.

If you have an iPhone or an Android phone then there are free tuning apps that you could use to measure what notes are played by the various buttons.

I don't know what the iPhone app is called, but I use DATuner on Android.

A listing of the notes for all of the buttons would be interesting and would settle a few discussions here.

Steve, so the lowest note on your 8-note miniature must be a C ( if you can play a major scale without accidentals! )?

That's right!

It must be a pretty rare configuration because, in an earlier thread, Jim reckoned:

I have recorded three 2"-miniatures from the post-1909 Wheatstone ledgers ...

25500 2" 8b Miniature hex

30524 2" Miniature hex NP

33898 2" 8b Mig metal ends gilt spray

To which I responded "There must have been at least one more made, because I've got it! Described as: 32151 N.P. Hex 8 Keys"

Edited by Stephen Chambers

Thanks, this is a great help! The F and F# on the top left side ( the side with the serial number ) should certainly be exchanged. Can you check again? It helps to read D# as Eb and A# as Bb, ( even though they sound the same ).

Alltogether an unexpected layout ( I was wrong ). It looks a bit like a Stagi Mini ( lowest C on the left side ), but it should certainly be one octave up.

If I am correct this time, layout and sounding notes don’t correspond to a treble, but to a piccolo! I would certainly miss a Bb on the right side.

Somehow I prefer the layout of my 20-key Lachenal with the low C on the right side ( may be because I am used to it ;-)!?