Used Peacock Hayden On Ebay (Uk, Close 21 Nov)

MatthewVanitas

Hey Trayton! Glad to have another Hayden player aboard!

We could definitely use your insight in any review threads we have of the Peacock, as only a couple of us have written of our experiences with the CC Peacock and BB Beaumont Hayden models so far.

If you get a chance to introduce yourself in the General section later, it's always great to see the diversity of styles of players of the Hayden, since we seem to have quite a span of influences that lead people to choose that system.

Yeah, I know it starts only from C, but I'm just wondering if there is such a difference.

There's also this one which is also smaller, but doesn't boast such a loud sound:

http://www.wakker-concertinas.com/E-3.htm

I can't understand why the removal of 5 notes on the bottom changes the loudness, that's

why I'm asking. I'd rather get a loud 37 key instrument starting from G.

Yeah, I know it starts only from C, but I'm just wondering if there is such a difference.

There's also this one which is also smaller, but doesn't boast such a loud sound:

http://www.wakker-concertinas.com/E-3.htm

I can't understand why the removal of 5 notes on the bottom changes the loudness, that's

why I'm asking. I'd rather get a loud 37 key instrument starting from G.

Perhaps as there is a 'photos not yet available' this could signify that Wim has yet to make one,so he is reserving comment on its characteristics?

Smaller concertinas can be louder due to having a smaller crossection and thus more air pressure created for the same amount of push/pull effort and less internal Mass to dampen the sound. The power advantage of a Jeffries over a Wheatstone Anglo could have something to do with the slightly smaller size of the Jeffries.

Another factor could be the Mass of the Reedpan... with less reeds a 30 key Anglo does not have as much weight as a 48 English, so there is not so much material to deaden the sound of the reed.... perhaps the effect is slight but the result could be significant enough.

One last suggestion; on an Anglo with a non-radial reedpan all the reeds ( or almost all) are organised in-line with the grain of the wood. I think this might have an affect on the output volume of the instrument because vibration of the reedpan is not constricted across the grain. No proof, just a theory.

Edited by Geoff Wooff