Used Peacock Hayden On Ebay (Uk, Close 21 Nov)

MatthewVanitas

Were there only a few thousand each of Maccanns and Cranes ever made?

I wonder when the Hayden will become the clear most-produced Duet ever. There must be over a thousand Elises floating around (or is that too optimistic?), and between Morse and Wim a hundred or more quality hybrids. Toss in another few dozen for high-end Haydens from Wim, Dipper, Crabb (?), and Wheatstone. And then Bastari/Stagi had a total of, what, 50-100 examples produced?

Possible that in the next 10 years there might be more Haydens than Maccanns floating around? And Maccann is hands-down the most-produced system so far, yes?

My understanding (Wim might confirm this for us) is that Concertina Connection serial numbers are a single run of consecutive numbers applied to all Clover, Rose, and Peacock concertinas, not separate runs of numbers for each of the Clover, Rose, and Peacock.

That's how R. Morse & Co. serial numbers are assigned, as a single run of consecutive numbers. The very first Beaumont was numbered one-thousand-something, for instance, but that doesn't mean there have been a thousand Beaumonts made :) It just means that there were one-thousand-something-minus-one other Morse concertinas (Ceili's mostly) made before it.

Edited by wayman

Well if someone else is interested in skipping the crosspond shipping and taxes I have

Peacock with wakker bellows for sale too -- I'm in Belgium.

You might want to start your own thread, with more details, here in Buy and Sell.

And would you be willing to share with us your reasons for selling?

Reason for selling:

* I already play the piano rather and I can do there now what is impossible on the Hayden.

* The logical layout attracted me, but this instrument is too small to benefit from that. Even

a fminor chord requires stretching requires uncommon positions.

* I missed the low accidentals on the right hand side.

* There is a problem with balance in that the low reeds easily drown out the higher ones.

* I have a short pinky and I guess scales require 4 fingers to play fluently.

That's of course pretty negative, it's a fine instrument, but I just didn't wanna stick with it since

I'm also playing anglo and attempting the english. I also wanted to play more modern things on

it and just didn't have the time/energy to put in the effort.

...it's a fine instrument, but I just didn't wanna stick with it since I'm also playing anglo and attempting the english. I also wanted to play more modern things on it and just didn't have the time/energy to put in the effort.

I'd be interested in hearing how you progress with the anglo and the English.

Well I try to limit Anglo to the Irish stuff and that works quite well. I also play in a couple

of folk combos and there the problem is songs with 2 flats (or god forbid even more)

-- i've a 30 key C/G. Also fast passages require planning ahead and I find it not so easy

to sightread on the anglo.

English seems to be come quite easily but I don't have many opportunities to play it at the

moment. I should play it in the folk combo's but I'm seated next to 1 or 2 bagpipers and I

feel I need my Kensington to cut through -- which it does!

Immanuel

[[[English seems to be come quite easily but I don't have many opportunities to play it at the

moment. I should play it in the folk combo's but I'm seated next to 1 or 2 bagpipers and I

feel I need my Kensington to cut through]]]

this is definitely the fly in the ointment with EC, and it is infuriating because this system is fantastic for ceili/dance playing. some creative engineer needs to sit down and figure out ways to compensate for the things inherent to EC that make the tone less fat and robust than anglo. i don't really understand the explanations or theories people have posted as to why this is. something about the reed arrangement. but regardless---other design features could make up for this, and they need to be invented.

Edited by ceemonster

[[[English seems to be come quite easily but I don't have many opportunities to play it at the

feel I need my Kensington to cut through]]]

this is definitely the fly in the ointment with EC, and it is infuriating because this system is fantastic for ceili/dance playing. some creative engineer needs to sit down and figure out ways to compensate for the things inherent to EC that make the tone less fat and robust than anglo. i don't really understand the explanations or theories people have posted as to why this is. something about the reed arrangement. but regardless---other design features could make up for this, and they need to be invented.

Maybe you should start a topic for this Ceemonster and then we can all expound our theories again as to why the EC is generally not as loud as the AC.

So, what sort of Bagpipes are you sitting beside and what model of EC do you play Psmooze ?

I ask because I do something similar, in a band with 2 ( sometimes 3) Cornemuse de Centre and several powerfull Diato accordeons and my EC cuts through the lot with out any problem.

One guy is playing ullean pipes, the other ones I don't know the name

of I, probably some flemish/belgian variant. I can ask. They're loud.

I have a wheatstone treble and a tenor treble Aeola. Qua loudness they

aren't up to my Kensington...

Hi all.

It was me who purchased the Peacock to upgrade from my Elise.

I had been looking at getting one and would have had to pay $2600 plus shipping, 3% import tax, 20% VAT and possibly a handling cost.

The concertina is as new, has the Wicky layout, has been played very little, has a hard case included and I was sat at home a day later getting used to the extra buttons I am very happy with the deal.

I will now have an Elise for sale in the SW of England very soon.

malcolm

Good luck with your new baby Malcolm... and welcome to C.net too.

I got my Elise upgrade in a similar way, from an advert on this forum in fact. :o

Psmoose,

having one's Uilleann pipes set up to play too loud is considered bad manners.... even in Piping circles but more especially amongst the players of other session instruments. :)

Geoff.

Hi all.

It was me who purchased the Peacock to upgrade from my Elise.

I had been looking at getting one and would have had to pay $2600 plus shipping, 3% import tax, 20% VAT and possibly a handling cost.

The concertina is as new, has the Wicky layout, has been played very little, has a hard case included and I was sat at home a day later getting used to the extra buttons I am very happy with the deal.

I will now have an Elise for sale in the SW of England very soon.

malcolm

Welcome to the forum!

Congratulations on getting a wonderful upgrade too.

I believe that most of the duet fans here love having new company.

Edited by maki