Novelty Buttons -- Whistles, Birdcalls, Baby Cries, Etc.

CrP

A quick search of C-net discussion archive turned up only one thread on this topic, as best I can determine, namely, 21 August, 2004 : http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1444&hl=%2Bbird+%2Bcall&do=findComment&comment=13484

So, allow me to pique your curiosity, if I may -- does anyone nowadays still use the novelty buttons? I'd appreciate hearing some guesses -- or informed research, for that matter -- on how they were used in the past. My guess is it would have been in connexion with song accompaniment, probably in popular/folk/non-classical settings, e.g., music hall, comedy, dialect and folk culture [with a small "c"] genres.

Of the instruments I've seen & played, admittedly all anglo concertinas -- Jeffries, Lachenals, Jones -- many if not most of those from the late 19th century through the first decades of the 20th seem to have the novelty buttons/sounds as standard on anything much more than 30-key anglos. So, comments. anyone?

I'm presently tuning a Lachenal New Model Chidley system duet that has a bird call and baby cry on the RH side adjacent to the "normal" layout.

Greg

BTW I have a long term 40b anglo project on the workbench that has a "duck call". The novelty mechanism extends into the bellows and emits a satisfying "quack" when used.

I don't recall ever seeing one of these 'novelty' buttons on an English or Duet..... though they are sure to exist.

As I recall Dirge actually bought a Maccann duet which had a couple of novelty buttons on it a couple of years ago.

They exist Geoff, but they're extremely rare - I can only remember seeing one Edeophone English that was made with whistle and squeakers, and that was 40 years ago, and I've heard of a duet...

But I do have a 10-key melodeon that was made with bird whistle, squeakers, cuckoo AND a vox humana ("tremolodeon") stop, whilst a bell (or two) used to be a common feature on early melodeons!

Yes, good question. I'd love to see a Video or learn of a recording that demonstrates the use of the novelty sounds. Surely there must be some old 78's of Vaudeville or (more likely) British music-hall comedy performers who used concertina as part of their "shtick".

A few years ago I had a request for a 40 key C/G with bird call and baby cry. Rather than remake the actuating devices I reused a couple from a donor instrument, courtsy of Malcom Clapp. I don't know how much the owner uses them, she was doing work in schools at the time and planned to employ them there.

So, allow me to pique your curiosity, if I may -- does anyone nowadays still use the novelty buttons? I'd appreciate hearing some guesses -- or informed research, for that matter -- on how they were used in the past. My guess is it would have been in connexion with song accompaniment, probably in popular/folk/non-classical settings, e.g., music hall, comedy, dialect and folk culture [with a small "c"] genres.

I have a high bird whistle on my 30 button Lachenal/Dipper. I use it very rarely.

In one gimmicky border dance set we do, I sometimes use it on one of the choruses to go with very quiet stick clashes. Gets a laugh from the audience.

The few times I've played for kids, they like the 'bird in the concertina.'

But honestly, one of these days I'll have it replaced with a useful note!

• Like 1

Same as Matt, I'd love to see & hear some examples. I'm curious to know if anyone these days has incorporated any of the novelty sounds into more than a single or occasional "show-off" piece.

• 8 years later...

Hello, awesome gimmick concertina, that found on ebay,I update this topic,

Not only does this Concertina play it also has some special effects - my father believes 20 in total. The special effects it does is between Whistles and Honks etc which would have been for stage plays. He believes it was played at a stage in Vauderville.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325259378720?hash=item4bbaf84020:g:A~4AAOSwxGlixx66&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA0OB44NgBpuw25apaVgtP4hH9gP1IuapvgfhuYFeKLL22jWYvpWXiylMfuGeWel51sftvb7ViHjeEmpHRatQV0MDe%2BD%2FlQ6GuuN7smIRAfnffWSqL6PZ3arIqGDED6p3fmP1fCBDGyq62iL%2FE6jvAWjB5G4ACQXVvJuqXp%2BgaOLNpLA2w1pVwEqcBguQjcFScBSwYwbRI1RJ7mgVrl7DYQiwoVppGgKdbebvh27UbXNSf2njVDJey2m4eIjDTY7bg%2FQrwsfO1rTtCy%2Bt1pGQI5mo%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR_qlzL70YQ

Edited by genepinefield

• 8 months later...

These are all products of their era and venues..

I would bet that there was probably very popular songs at that time that used these, and then the manufacturers started pumping them out.

it would be interesting to find out the orig songs and players of these tunes. But I could easily envision some very popular “old MacDonald” type equivalent of “with a xxxx xxx here and a xxx xxx there”.

also, for the time period these were built. They were far more readily available and quite “cheap” by the standards of the day. Having several instruments or one box with novelty buttons for one song could have been pretty common.

Edited by seanc