New Hard Case For Concertina

Sue W

I'm looking for a new hard case for my concertina. It must be light and have a long strap. I want this to take my concertina to festivals and Days of Dance so it needs to be as easy and light as possible if I'm to carry it ( and everything else) around all day. It has to be a hard case as I need to put my foot on it when standing to play for dance. Any suggestions? I'm based in the UK.

Thanks

Sue

The most durable hard case I've seen is the Peli Storm iM2075, moulded plastic, much stronger than the standard hard cases and a little lighter. You can usually find them on line for under £50

I've never solved this problem quite adequately for myself. I am so happy with my backpack soft cases for the way they carry the weight of the instrument(s) and can also carry so many other useful things in the same bag (repair parts, books, laptop, etc), and leave both hands (and arms) unencumbered and able to carry other things (the morris stick bag, the beer cooler, etc) or enable easier bicycle riding. (I find a shoulder strap case still makes my arms less free for having something hanging by my side. Maybe that's just me.)

But two things backpack cases don't do for me: sit open on the ground, for collecting money; or sit closed on the ground for putting a foot on. Of course, I'm pretty sure no hard case can do BOTH of those at the same time :rolleyes:

I've actually thought about carrying a sturdy light-weight block of wood in my backpack case, for putting my foot on, though I haven't tried this yet.

Speaking as a repairer I wince every time I see a naked concertina being placed into a backpack or other bag. It is even worse when the bag also contains other useful things which are solid or have hard edges or corners. It is asking for trouble. Earlier this year I had to do major repairs to a lovely 1930s Wheatstone which the owner fell on top of. It was in a gig bag over the shoulder when the owner slipped and fell. One metal and plate was severely bent, end frames joints broken apart and worst of all a sizeable chunk of action board smashed.

More recently I had a return visit of an early Wheatstone with lovely rosewood ends which I had previously sold. The owner habitually carried it in a soft bag along with a tin whistle and other items. She was quite surprised when I pointed out a number of cracks in the fretwork and a few pieces missing. The ends were pristine when I had seen it a year or two earlier.

Get a hard case.

Well, it's no ordinary backpack -- it's a specialized camera bag designed for carrying your thousands-of-dollars of big lenses into the bush, packed tightly on all sides by adjustable rigid thick foam padding.

I do have and use hard cases where necessary, but for short trips I find that an insulated cooler bag intended for a 6-pack of beer fits a concertina snugly, and provides an appropriate mix of lightness, insulation, padding and rigidity. The one I use has withstood someone knocking it off the table onto the floor without injury to the tina inside.

The sort of things are like http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=insulated+cool+bags+6-can&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ainsulated+cool+bags+6-can.

Regards,

You may find something in vanity cases on ebay. There are loads of them, some with stiff fabric covered shells, often with shoulder straps, and some (probably more suitable for feet) made of aluminium. You'd have to take out the trays and fit foam inners. You might have to fix on a pair of fittings for a clip on shoulder strap. A lot don't put sizes on, so you'll have to enquire.

I use a Storm case and put my own over-the-shoulder webbed strap from a canvas briefcase I had hanging around; attached to the handle area. This worked better than I could have actually hoped--perfectly protected but easy to carry. I have to agree: Storm case always.

Thanks for all the suggestions. It does need to be a hard case. I'll look at vanity cases on ebay. As for the storm case it looked good but I couldn't work out how I might fit a strap to it. Any further info appreciated.

Thanks again.

Sue

Thanks for all the suggestions. It does need to be a hard case. I'll look at vanity cases on ebay. As for the storm case it looked good but I couldn't work out how I might fit a strap to it. Any further info appreciated.

Thanks again.

Sue

The Pelican/Hardigg sStorm case iM2075 has a lovely strap but it has to be ordered separately. It comes with installation instructions, needs two holes drilled. Find the sideways balance point before drilling, it will not be exactly in the middle. Edited by Chris Ghent

Is there a comparable case to the Storm im2075 for larger concertinas?

I have an im2075 that is just perfect for a 6 1/4" vintage concertina but much too small for my Peacock.

Why would I want to keep a peacock in a camera case? Well, they are very noisy birds ...

Edited by Don Taylor

I've actually thought about carrying a sturdy light-weight block of wood in my backpack case, for putting my foot on, though I haven't tried this yet.

If you need a playing step and don't want to carry a block of wood there are folding steps designed for a caravan and made from aluminium so not very heavy.

See this hardcase on ebay now

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aluminium-Professional-Beauty-Cosmetic-Make-Up-Skin-Hair-Case-Vanity-Storage-Box-/181586634017?

Forgot to say that you can rivet on D rings at sides for attaching a shoulder strap. any competent DIYer can do this.

Edited by Ann-p

Hi

I have been looking for a strong case that is only as big as it needs to be. I bet Button Box has some generic cases that would work with a bit of customizing the interior to hold your instrument snugly.

I recently have had Greg Jowaisas, a member here, make me 2 cases that precisely fit 2 of my concertinas. I recommend him. It costs a bit more for a custom sized case but I think it is worth it to best ensure the longevity and condition of a good concertina which should last centuries.

Richard

Edited by richard

I know you are the wrong side of the pond to make the above case an economical proposition. That case is just about the right size 9 3/4 x 8 x 8" for a 6 to 6 1/2" concertina. Will allow enough space for some foam and the fitting to keep the bellows closed. I have just managed to find one slightly larger to fit a 57 key Maccann. Still to fit out, but more important things to do at present

I find it too risky to put concertinas in soft cases, more's the pity..... :( It's unfortunate that the lightness advantage of the concertina is somewhat blunted by the need for a hard case. My Morse Tenor EC in its hard case is not really much lighter or less bulk to carry than a small button accordion in a soft case...

For concertinas, I put a hard case inside a two row button accordion-size soft accordion pack, so I can carry on my back and have the pocket that is on the outside of the accordion case....

Edited by ceemonster