Persevere Or Find Alternative Route?

Thanks Mike… yes, two months is absolutely nothing at all and I'm not impatient, I'm really enjoying learning and discovering something new each day… as you say, it's a tricky instrument but very rewarding. Thanks very much for the run-down on the position of the duplicate notes...

Cheers, John

Keep at it long enough and with a bit of luck these sort of options eventually become instinctive and your fingers take over.

Thanks Rod… that'll be the day to break out the champagne…! I just wasn't sure if finding easier, alternative notes and ways around tricky passages was the accepted way. I feel now as if I have been given the green light to go ahead and do my own thing… within reason, of course!

Cheers, John

What I meant to say Gary… in Weeping, Sad & Lonely in bar 9, I have to break up that beautiful, long 1 drone by playing 10 on the push, and then continue the drone for the 3-1-9-2 run on the pull. It's a shame to have to do this as that long, deep drone is wonderful… at least when you play it! I'll have to save that long note for the day I upgrade to an extra bellows-fold or two...

John, no harm done by breaking the drone momentarily - I think it sounds perfectly fine either way!

For some reason my 20-button Lachenal has the left hand #6 button as "B" push and "C" pull - I hope yours is the more normal "B/A" configuration. I was wondering why some of those pulled chords sounded odd...

Gary

"For some reason my 20-button Lachenal has the left hand #6 button as "B" push and "C" pull"

Mine too Gary… :o ! I hadn't noticed that before as I haven't had to dig down that deep on the G row yet… any ideas why our Lachenals should be set up B/C? All of the fingering charts that I've seen show the B/A configuration…

Mine is B push/C pull as well, so it isn't all that rare.

A pull may be the most common, but another option I've seen in that position would be a D. Personally, the D seems the least useful of the three, because that D pull already exists in the C row and is easy to get to. Sometimes that lowest button on the G row is G push/D pull, which seems completely redundant to me, but it makes the G row completely the same interval configuration as the C row, which could be convenient for someone who strictly plays along the rows.

I do miss the low A on some melodies, but having that lower C on the pull is great to anchor the higher C pull in the left hand G row when playing octaves, or when played beneath the A and E pull for an A minor chord, or to help out a C major harmony phrase when the melody (or bellows balance) requires a pull note.

Edited by Tradewinds Ted

"Mine is B push/C pull as well, so it isn't all that rare."

Thanks Ted… well, that makes at least three of us, I wonder how many others have the B/C set-up? Actually, the B/A set-up means that there are 5 As on the pull, including the 2 right hand ones, so maybe that extra C instead of an A isn't such a bad thing… reducing the As to 4 and increasing the Cs to 3 on the pull...