Concertina Value

I purchased a crabb from Chris Algar a few years ago for £5000. It's as good as any Jeffries. I'm just wondering will it hold its value and is it still worth that now.

Am I right in guessing that this is a 30-key C/G Anglo? It's very hard to say because each sale is its own story, but my sense of the current market is that the price might be a bit lower now.

I was thinking about buying a Jeffries. Would a Jeffries of £5000+ hold its value better than a Crabb of that value?

I think a couple of my anglos are worth less now than what I paid for them - am I unhappy? No, because I bought instruments that I found wonderful to play and will never sell. I'd advise against buying any instruments for investment value, rather look for an instrument that makes you smile every time you play it. In that respect, it's even better than investing in wine!

Adrian

I was thinking about buying a Jeffries. Would a Jeffries of £5000+ hold its value better than a Crabb of that value?

I think a couple of my anglos are worth less now than what I paid for them - am I unhappy? No, because I bought instruments that I found wonderful to play and will never sell. I'd advise against buying any instruments for investment value, rather look for an instrument that makes you smile every time you play it. In that respect, it's even better than investing in wine!

Adrian

Adrian, that is an excellent sentiment.

• 3 weeks later...

I am an accordion player who has recently been left a C Jeffries C / G 30 note concertina by my late aunt. In addition to the 30 notes, it has an extra C button on the left hand side. Following advice I've just spent £800.00 on getting it renovated. It sounds very nice but I have a problem. As previously stated I play a unisonoric accordion with a Stradella bass system and also one with Free Bass. In addition to learning these instruments, I also play the trumpet and have just placed an order for a new bandoneon.

As the concertina is bisonoric, I do find it a little awkard to learn and I am not sure whether I can ever find the time to become a proficient concertina player.

What should I do? I am a little reluctant to sell it as it was a gift, but if I don't play it, why keep it. What sort of reasonable price could I put on it without being greedy?

Bandoneon man

Since it will be a valuable (and desirable to many) instrument you might be able to swap it with a nice (unisonoric) "English" or "Duet" concertina, which would transform the gift into something similar making a difference to you...

Anyways, good luck and best wishes - Wolf

You could probably get 4500-5000 GBP if you sell it yourself.

Less if you sell it to a dealer for cash in hand today.

I don't consider it greedy to ask what the market will bear.

Put it on ebay with a reserve of 4500?

Congratulations on getting a C. Jeffries!